Ch.55 What I Will Give

Eloise M.

"JAMES!" I scream, leaping off the side after him.

"ELOISE!" Connor and Violet scream.

"ELLY!" Arthur wails.

The wind whips through my hair as I fall. With the strength I still have, I will my power to giving me wings. I shoot after James and close my wings around him, using myself as a way to break his fall. The impact wasn't as hard as to be expected... but by the time we landed, James was fading... fading to a dangerous point.

"E-El-Eloise?" James coughs.

"Shh. James don't talk! J-just hang on!" I choke on every word.

"E-Elly... it's no use. I'm not going to-"

"SHUT UP! Shut the hell up James! Don't you dare say that bullshit again!" I cry. "You're going to make it! You have to! I can't let you die like this! You can't leave me like-"

James rests a weak hand on the side of my face... I look into his eyes only to see that I wasn't the only one crying. I shake my head... I couldn't... I wasn't ready... I couldn't let him go... he can't leave me... I wasn't ready to live without him... I couldn't bear the thought.

I take his hand in mine, pressing it onto my face... savoring his touch. I blink, letting all of my tears fall. I was broken... shattered... I couldn't be strong anymore. One person could only take so much heartache.

"Y-You know... I think I like your silver eyes better." James smiles.

I blink, returning a weak smile, brushing aside his hair.

I can't let him die like this... but... if I go through with it... he wouldn't be the same... he would-

James coughs up blood, more tears running from his eyes. All the pain he was in... he risked his life to save me... I couldn't... I couldn't bear to see him like this...

Even if he hates me after this... it will be worth it... just to see him one last time... just so he can live long enough to... I blink away some tears, summoning a golden dagger to my hand. The blade shakes within my grasp... I don't think I can do this...

"E-Eloise?" His eyes... good god his eyes... he was scared...

"This isn't an ordinary dagger. It will save your life. I just-"

James pushes the blade away, twisting his body away also. "N-no!" He groans. The movement causes him co cough up even more blood. We were wasting time! I was losing him!

"James please! Please just let me help you!"

"No Eloise... I don't want you to-"

"JAMES PLEASE!" I scream. "Please! Please I'm begging you! I-" I choke on the lump in my throat, "I can't live without you. If you go... I will too."

The look of shock on his face shifts into... into comfort. That look James had been giving me...they were right... they were all right... I was blind... blind to those who truly mattered... to what was right in front of me all this time... James took my hand with the blade in it, pointing it over his heart.

"D-do... it..." James nods.

With his hands still on mine, I drive the dagger into his heart. James gasps, the dagger slowly starting to fade... the magic sinking into his body. Just before he fades away, I kiss him lightly on the forehead and whisper,

"I love you."