Ch.21 How He Feels

Eloise M.

"He is such a pain in my ass," I mumble.

"Who are you talking about Eloise?" Ace asks.

Dang it! He heard me?! "I was talking about Grey."

"Huh, for a moment I thought you meant Adam." Connor says.

"No, this is my first time encountering Adam. I just caught Grey looking over here so that's why I said it."

"If you don't mind me asking Eloise," Ace starts, "why do you and Grey hate one another so much?"

"I thought I asked Arthur about this already?" James raised a brow.

"Yes, but I want to hear it from Eloise." Ace adds, locking eyes with me.

I take a deep breath then explain, "I've known Grey for a long time. Even as children we would quarrel a lot. My father being one of the greatest detectives in London, and his father being one of the earls closest to the royal family, Grey saw everything as a competition.

"For a while," I continue, "it discouraged me to a point that I didn't want to even leave the house. But then, as I got older and my father realized my true talents, he started to train me different. Since then, I've been able to beat Grey in pretty much every duel."

"So basically the two of you bully one another." Connor shakes his head with a smirk.

"To summarize, yes."

"What about billiards Eloise?" James asks me with a grin.

"I've always been better at billiards than everyone else." I wave off the subject.

"I try but I still fail," Ace chuckles.

That wound up turning into a debate about weather or not I could beat every man or woman in this room. I had to admit that on the train, James was close to beating me, but then we recognized the speed and well, you know. At some point, Grey and his group had taken a seat just behind us as we continued talking. The conversation shifted from billiards to bumper pool where I had to admit I had no idea how to play. Ace just continued to make fun of me as he bragged about his ability in that game. Yeah sure he can win a game of bumper pool but he can't win billiards to save his life.

"Master," Adrien cuts in, "it appears that Adam has fallen asleep sir."

We turn around to find Adam fast asleep on a red velvet couch with at least thirteen empty glasses near him. The rest of the glasses must have been from Rodrich, Elizabeth, Tex, and Grey.

"So it appears he has," Connor sighs, setting down his glass. "Come Adrien, let's take him to his room shall we."

"Are you turning in for the night already Earl Reed?" Elizabeth asks.

"Unfortunately yes," Connor nods, "please enjoy the party as you like and just notify one of my servants when you are ready to turn in yourselves."

Adrien grabs Adam, carrying him over his shoulder as they both exit the room. For a moment, the room is silent.

"Huh, how unprofessional." James scoffs.

"James, be nice." Arthur teases.

"Why should I? Give me one valid reason why I should even bother and, no, us being in his home is no excuse."

Arthur opens his mouth to reply but quickly shuts it not long after. James rolls his eyes, taking a seat on a chair near the back of the circle we seem to have made.

"Welp," Tex stood, "who would like to join me in the lounge? It would seem that the earl has quite the stash of drinks and has no problem sharing."

"I'll take you up on that offer," Rodrich grins.

"As will I," Elizabeth nods.

"Well, since you put it on the table." Arthur shrugs.

Arthur gives me a look just before he leaves and I nod in response. Now, the only ones left in the room are my sister, Ace, Grey, James, and myself.

"Seeing as the conversation came up earlier," Grey smirks, getting to his feet, "how about we play a game of billiards in the game room?"

"Is that a challenge, Grey?" I taunt, raising my brow.

"Depends how you want to see it, Detective Millore." Grey shrugs.

"You're on." I laugh.

"I guess we'll go with you then." Ace stands, holding his hand out to my sister.

"It's better than sitting in here alone." Violet adds, taking Ace's hand.

"Well then let's go,"

"Hang on Eloise." James says. "The others can go ahead but I'd like to have a talk with you for a moment."

The others eye us oddly, my sister showing signs of concern. I nod to the others as a silent signal for them to go on. I stared James straight in the eyes just as the door shut, confirming their exit.

"James," I sigh, "why is it that I think I know what you're going to tell me?"

"It's him," James accused, "I just know it."

"James,"

"Connor was the one who killed Daniel, who hired that man to attack Tyler's bar, I bet that somewhere in this damned mansion of his he has the family ring."

"James!" I growl.

James takes a step back out of shock. I take a deep breath, putting my hand to my forehead and closing my eyes for a moment to taste my words before they leave my mouth. I had never even dreamed of my sister harming me... yet James had actually lived that nightmare.

"James," I breath, "I have no idea what you're feeling, or what you are thinking. What I can understand is that you don't feel safe and that you have high suspicions of your brother at the moment. But..."

I fall short, putting my hands on my hips and looking at the ground.

"But what Eloise?" James asks.

I look him dead in the eye as I say, "Answers never come easy, James... you can't solve a crime with a victim and fury. It never just takes the right evidence, but the right brain, to gain justice."

It's silent for a long while, the situation seeming worse since James never averts his eyes. There it was again... that same look I had noticed before... was I dense or was that look he gives me something he does to everyone?

"I know you're just trying to help me, Eloise but," James shakes his head, looking to the ground.

"But?" I repeat.

"But," James sighs,

"One way or another, someone here will die."