Ch.51 Warriors and Villains

Connor R.

At some point, we lost James. Eloise and I had run up to the second level of the manor and into the art gallery. I felt like I was going to be sick... this whole situation was killing me. Literally killing me.

"Damn it James!" Eloise huffs, banging her fist on the wall.

"What's your problem?" I ask her.

"If James hadn't grabbed me, I would have been able to stay behind and help Arthur! And what was that whole deal about us being his partners!? If he's supposed to be our partners wouldn't that mean he would stay behind with us."

I was about ready to lose it. "Are you serious!?"

Eloise looks at me confused. "What is it?"

I shake my head in awe. "You really have no clue why he did it... do you?"
Eloise raised a brow. "Um... noo. Am I missing something?"

Trying not to lose my composure, I run a hand through my hair. "You're so damned dense Eloise!" I groan with frustration.

"I don't follow, what are you-"

I lost it. I grab Eloise by her shoulder, shaking her as I shout, "My brother saved you because he likes you! Look at the signs!"

When I stop shaking her, Eloise looks pale and shocked. "J-James likes me?"

"Well no shit Millore!" I hiss.

Eloise averts her eyes, her breathing getting slightly harder. That's when I get a little concerned. Had I said too much? Did I shake her too hard? "Eloise?"

"I-I didn't... no, there has to be some mistake... James couldn't..." Eloise looked like she was about to throw up.

"What's so bad about it? Is my brother that bad or something?" I ask.

Eloise shakes her head. "I-It's... it's not that Connor... it's just... I had a lover once... someone I truly cared about... it was a long time ago... back when I was working with my dad on Arthur's case. H-he was kidnaped... and I just..."

Eloise closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She was scared... Eloise was scared. She swallows just before she finishes, "I couldn't get there in time to save him."

"E-Eloise... I-I'm... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to bring this up."

"You didn't know. It's fine. Since that other man... I hadn't dared to look at anyone. With my line of work... it's too dangerous to care for anyone."

I was about to say more when a voice outside shatters my thoughts.

"Master Connor! Detective Millore! I know you're up here!"

It was Adrien... he found us.

Eloise curses violently as we both duck into a corner and hide. I don't know how long she had it for, but Eloise pulls out a second gun and tosses it to me. I hold my breath as the doors shatter with Adrien's entrance.

I gulp, feeling my whole body shaking with fear. I hold the gun close to my chest. I can't do this... even though he's already dead... I can't shoot him... I can't shoot anyone.

"You may be able to hide your breathing, but I can still hear your heartbeats!" Adrien sings, his voice leather and laced with a deadly venom.

I glance to where Eloise is hiding across the room. Her face is made of stone, the look in her eyes is so calm it makes me scared. There was a thick layer of ice in her eyes that was so cold it might have burned.