Ch.37 Saying the Truth

James R.

What was I thinking? Why didn't that damned butler of his leave the keys to these chains? If I die now I swear I'll-

"James, did you hear that?" Connor asked.

We were laying back to back in the same bed, our ankles chained together. I rolled my eyes hissing, "Yes, I had heard silence before you decided to start talking."

"James come on, I'm being serious." Connor whispered.

"Yeah, well so am I, now go back to sleep." I grumble.

For a while, everything is silent... and that's when I hear a small whimper from Connor. It catches me off guard and for a moment my head flashed back to when we were children.

"What are you whimpering about?" I hiss.

"Do you really want to bother? Do you even care?" Connor whimpers back.

I open my mouth to speak but no words come out. I turn over to look at him, whispering, "I'm willing to listen."

"But not willing to care, right?"

I stay silent. He was right... willing to listen, but not to care. Connor lets out a shuddering sigh, "L-look James I... I'm sorry... about everything. I know you still think I'm the killer... but, I swear I'm nothing of the sort."

"I still find it hard to believe..." I mumble.

"Of course you would," Connor choked on his words, "you probably want me dead like the other two."

"Connor I-"

"Don't deny it." Connor gives me a weak smile, looking me straight in the eye as he continues, "I'm nothing to you. I never was and I'll never be. I've been telling myself this for a while but, to you I'm nothing but the villain in your narrative.

"I'll never be worth anything to you James," Connor's eyes glaze over with tears, "I know that and I-I... I accept that. Really, I was a fool to even dare to ask for your forgiveness... I-I should just go to bed a-and not wake up the next mor-"

Connor gasps as I wrap my arms around him. He's shaking slightly, so I wrap my arms around him tighter. What were you thinking James? Look at what you've done you bloody idiot... 

"I don't want that..." I whisper.

"J-James, y-you don't-"

"Enough Connor," I hold him tighter, "just get some sleep, okay?"

"James stop." Connor tries to push me away. "You do this now, but tomorrow you'll be back to how you were before."

"And what if I'm not?"
"Just stop James." Connor breaks free of my grasp and turns his back towards me. "Please... just stop... I already feel guilty enough for this mess... you pitying me doesn't help."

I avert my eyes away from him. This is my fault... It's my fault Connor is feeling this way... and he's calling himself the villain...

I get closer to Connor and wrap my arms around his waist. I can feel him tensing, so I wrap my arms around him tighter.

"James, let me go..."

"No, I don't want to."

This time, when Connor breaks free, he turns towards me. His eyes are still glazed when he chokes out, "Wh-why are you still trying? J-just admit I'm nothing to you."

I hug him as tight as I can, resting my head on his shoulder. Connor, reluctantly at first, wrapped his arms around me, holding me closer to him. This is the first time we were together like this since... since I was five... I didn't realize how much I missed it...

"Fine, I'll say it... you're nothing to me, Connor." He tries to pull away, but I hold him tighter and finish;

"Nothing but my big brother."