Ch.15 Suspicion

Arthur W.

James and I had to carry the other two workers back to the dining car where one of the doctors on site treated them for whatever wounds they had. The room became filled with chater, most of it directed to Eloise. I stood a good distance from the rest of the crowd, just trying to piece things together myself.

Somehow, whoever sped up the train must have either had enough time to escape off of the train entirely or they are hiding and waiting until the right moment to-

"Arthur, are you alright?" Varian asks, clasping a firm hand on my shoulder.

"Huh? Oh, yes Varian I'm alright, just a bit shaken is all." I respond, a weak smile on my face.

"Same here. I highly doubt I'll be getting much sleep tonight. You don't think the culprit is still on the train do you?" Varian's brows crease with worry.

"I was just considering that," I place a hand on my chin, "but then I realized something."

"And that was?"

"We did a sweep on the rooms before and after slowing down the train, they were all clear. Unsurprisingly there wasn't much baggage in the storage car save for three crates that were filled to the brim with wine bottles. On top of that, no one entered that door before we realized the train had sped up-"

"No one entered the door afterward either. So with all this being said," Varian trails off.

"It would be impossible for someone to have done all of this and was still able to remain on the train." I finish.

Varian turns his head to the window nervously, the sun setting over the snowy mountains. This time, it was my turn to place a hand on his shoulders. I looked Varian in the eye and nodded. He returned the gesture as a signal that he understood.

All the first class passengers stayed in the dining car for another hour or two, chatting and drinking to work off all the stress and worry. After having a few drinks myself, I wandered back to my room, James, Eloise, and Thunder close in toe.

* 

Gasping, my head bolted off of the pillow and I found myself in a cold sweat. My chronic nightmares were occuring again. Feeling slightly sick to my stomach I decided to sit up on the top bunk of our room.

The time on the clock said 8:49 am. I sighed and climbed down, going to-

"James?" He wasn't there.

Utterly confused I got dressed in a simple tunic and pants, slipping on the same pair of shoes as I had worn the night before. The train wouldn't be arriving at the station until 5:30 pm, and we had until then to get ready in our more formal attire.

After brushing my hair and teeth, I wandered out of my room and into the dining car. At some point during the night they must have repaired the door because I found a new sliding door in place. The first thing I see is James sitting near the window with a cup of coffee on a saucer.

"Morning James," I greet, taking a seat across from him.

"Oh, good morning Arthur. How long have you been up for?"

"I just woke up a few moments ago actually. You seem as though you've been up for a while." I comment as a waiter brings me a menu.

"I woke up an hour ago. Eloise was in here for a while then went back to her room. Something about finding a book in her luggage I think."

"A book? Oh right! Eloise likes to bring a sketchbook with her on trips like this. And no, it's not always for crime scenes." I say.

James is quiet for a brief moment as I place my order but once the waiter leaves, James asks, "Eloise likes to draw?"

"Like is an understatement. Eloise has been drawing for years and most of her art can appear as though it were taken by a camera."

"Really? Do you think she would show me some time?"

"Maybe, if I'm drunk enough that is."

James and I both jump at the sound of her voice. Eloise pulls up a chair next to me as Thunder slides under the table, his nose sticking out from under the dove white table cloth.

"I-I didn't mean for you to hear that." James mumbled.

"It's alright if you're curious. Just remember curiosity killed the cat." Eloise smirked.

"Are you implying that James might go through your things?" I ask.

"No, I'm implying you would."

"How dare you!"

"How dare I not?"

"I really hate you sometimes."

"Most of the time."

"That's not true."

"Is true."

"Stop doing that!" I growl.

Eloise just laughs at me, laughing harder once she sees the confused look on the waiter's face when he comes back with my order.

"Ignore them, this is natural." James shakes his head.

"If you say so sir," The waiter eyes me suspiciously as he glides away.

"Ohh, he called you sir," Eloise teases.

"Hush Millore," I hiss.

Eloise continues to laugh as I take a sip of my coffee. Then, Eloise stands up go over and grab a drink herself. James and I are left alone, Thunder shifting under the table at our silence. It wasn't long before I notice James staring out the window again.

"Alright man, come on now."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Get it together James, what's the matter?" I question.

"Well," James takes a deep, long breath before answering, "I can't help but have this sinking feeling that my brother and Mistwood are somehow connected."

"You mean-"

"Yes," James nods.

"That's impossible."

"If I know my brother and unfortunately I do," James huffed, "he always finds some way to make the impossible, possible."

"So what will you do if your assumption is correct?" I ask.

James doesn't need to say a word...

The dark clouds of anger in his eyes are enough.