Ch.7 The Case

James R.

Her screams... their laughing... no, no, no! This was all too real! This couldn't be real! I open my eyes and find myself lying flat on the ground, staring up into the night sky in the middle of a forest. That night...

"James! James help!" Emma screams.

"E-EMMA!" I roar.

I keep struggling but it's no use! I can't move. Suddenly, I can't breath... an asthma attack. I see Connor standing over me, the devil clear in his eyes. He straddles me, a knife in his hand.

"Sleep tight little brother."

*

I wake up at 3:55 a.m, my clothes drenched in cold sweat, and my body shaking like a leaf in a rainstorm. I had woken up just as Connor plunged the knife into my chest, straight at my heart. It took me only a minute to calm down, realizing what had happened.

It was a nightmare... only a nightmare. I slowly climbed out of bed and went to take my shower. It was then I realized only two days ago, I was taking much of the same steps as I was this morning, excited about getting a new job. Now, I was preparing for one more day of unpleasant surprises.

My slacks and vest were a deep violet today, my tunic a french grey, my tie and fedora an ink black along with my suede shoes. I put on my watch, grabbed my midford, and started heading out around 4:27 a.m.

When I got outside however, something felt different. I walked for about a block and a half when I got this sinking feeling that I wasn't alone. I glance over my shoulder and find a man, twice my height, wearing all black, a top hat covering most of his face, behind me.

Now this would have been perfectly fine, if I hadn't already seen him while glancing around my apartment. He knew where I lived. I didn't hesitate, I ran the rest of the way to the offices, not looking back once.

*

"Dressed all in black, hat covering his face, why this man sounds like Harvey."

"Come on Arthur this is serious."

Naturally, once I got to the offices, I told Eloise and Arthur. They were both dressed like me only Eloise's attire was all black and white, complete with black leather gloves. Arthur on the other hand was dressed in blue and black.

"James, did this man seem threatening in any way?" Eloise asked.

"No, but then again he wasn't ordinary. I got this overwhelming feeling that I was going to die when he wasn't even looking at me."

"Where was he looking?" Arthur asked.

"He was looking across the street at a bar."

"Wait... what was the name?" Eloise sighed.

"Umm... Midnight Light, why?" I question.

Eloise looks disgusted for a moment and, for once, it seems Arthur has no idea what she's talking about. But, then again, it seemed that 75% of the time no one knew what Eloise was on about.

"We can further discuss that matter later," Eloise says, "for now, James will come back to my place to sleep tonight."

"WHAT!?" Arthur and I exclaim. No doubt my face was as red as a tomato by now.

"Think about it you buffoons," Eloise rolls her eyes, "if this bastard knows where James lives, then he could be in serious danger. The only logical solution is that he stays with one of us."

"Th-then why don't I just stay with Arthur?"

"Why would you want to?"
"Hey! What's that supposed to mean Eloise?"

"You shut your trap Arthur!" Eloise growls back.

"D-don't you think it might be, y-you know, a little improper if I stay the night with you?"

"Oh you bloody wankers! Get your minds out of the gutter and focus on what's at stake you idiots!" Eloise hisses.

"Okay, okay, geze! You have no reason to shout!" Arthur growls.

"You're shouting right-"

"Uhh guys, I hate to interrupt but, aren't we supposed to be looking at the case files?" I ask lightly, hoping to discontinue, and entirely avoid this conversation.

"Right," Eloise huffs, "but either way James, I don't think you want to spend a night with Arthur."

"Why's that?"

"The last time I did I had to deal with him almost sleepwalking into the street."

"Wait, you sleepwalk Arthur?"

"I've been doing it since I was about sixteen. And, yes, I will admit it is a problem."

"Now," Eloise claps her hands, Thunder's ears perking up a bit, "let's see exactly what her majesty wants us to unravel."

*

A string of murders residing mostly in the upper classes though some murders went as low as crime lords in london I had never even heard of. My brother was on the list for possible victims. Wonder if he's one of the crime lords that will be hit.

I sort of hope he's already dead.

"A chain eh? All the nobility that have been killed had some sort of business, weather it was large or small. The lesser victims were either big time crime lords or people with heavy sentences that never should have gotten out of jail." Eloise continues to analyse the data. "The way I see it, this murderer is killing as the lesser evil of the two. At least for now they are."

"So what exactly does the queen want us to do with this case?" I ask.

"James, there's something Eloise and I haven't told you yet." Arthur sighs, sitting back in his chair.

"And that would be?"

"When you're in this rank," Eloise sighs, swaggering over to her desk, "you're expected to do literally whatever it takes to solve a case. The detectives that can't cut it, get tossed to the side."

"And what makes you think that I shouldn't have been tossed out like the others?"

Eloise bites her lip.

"Well," Arthur sighs, "the lad's gotta point."

"You have something in you, James." Eloise stars after a brief moment. "You have something that none of the others had. You might not think so yet, but I know you have what it takes to be in this rank."

"I-if you say so, Eloise." I utter.

"Well, it's already gotten to be 12:30, I'd say we better go with James so he can get his things for the night." Eloise says, grabbing her coat while Thunder gets his leash.

"E-Eloise I do wish you would reconsider this. I'll be perfectly fine on my own." Was the room warm, or was it me?

"Come now James don't be like that, it'll be fine." Eloise waves her hands.

Yeah... sure...

*

We got back to my apartment to find my door wide open when it hadn't been this morning. A tense line formed between Eloise and Arthur as they drew their guns, Thunder growling beside me.

Slowly, though I had no weapon, I entered my room first and... of god... was... was that... no... it couldn't be...

Blood?