Ch.32 What Was That?

James R.

My ears were ringing and my head felt heavy. I sat up, hissing from the aching pain in my head. I gingerly touched my ears to find them caked with blood. I couldn't stay here, I had to get up. Once I got on one foot my head started to spin and I fell back onto my stomach.

I laid there, helpless on the icy cold stone. When I finally got my hearing back, and my head didn't hurt as much, I tried to sit up again. My head spun a little, but I felt more nauseous then anything else. That's when I noticed Connor unconscious next to me.

"Connor, Connor! Connor wake up!" I tried to shake him awake.

I laid Connor on his back to find that his face was pale and blood caked on his ears too. Whatever made that sound was strong enough to knock us out, but not strong enough to make me deaf or kill us.

"Connor please," I beg, "wake up! Please Connor!"

Slowly, Connor opens his eyes, some color coming back to his face. He groans, rolling onto his side. "My head."

"Connor are you okay?"

"What?"

"I asked if you were okay."

"Oh, yeah I'm fine. I can't hear a damned thing."

"Here, let me help you up."

I grab Connor's hand and he almost immediately falls into my arms, barely able to stand. I give him a moment, putting his arm over my shoulders. Connor squeezes his eyes shut, hissing from the pain he's feeling.

"I'm okay, just go." He breaths.

Slowly, we both stagger back to the main passageway.

*

Once we're back, we find everyone in a similar state, though Violet is still unconscious in Ace's arms.

"Violet," Eloise mumbles.

"Eloise stop, you're gonna black out again!" Grey warns, trying to keep Eloise still.

"What in the name of hell happened?" Tex hisses.

"I-it must have been one of the pipes running through here. Th-they haven't been working good lately and might have finally given up on me." Connor grunts, trying to stand on his own.

"That would make some sense..." Ace trails off.

"Oww... what happened?" Violet mumbles.

"Vi, are you alright?" Eloise pants.

"Nope," Violet answers, "my head hurts like hell."

"Rodrich, where's Eliza?" Arthur asks.

"I-I have no idea. She left soon before the sound." Rodrich answers.

"And why is that?" I ask.

"Something about this being too creepy for her." Rodrich replies.

"Well Grey was complaining earlier about how creepy it was and he still came back." Eloise huffs. "So I don't see why she should be any different."

"Let's all just go back upstairs. I'll have the servants, fix the baths." Connor says.

"Good idea," Arthur nods, "seeing as it's already 7:50 pm, we can discuss this over dinner."

"No objections here." Grey shrugs.

With that, we went back up stairs.

*

Later at dinner, it was quiet... all too quiet considering what had just happened. I glanced at Connor on the opposite end of the table. We locked eyes for a moment, then he averted his. That's when Adrien walked in...

"Adrien," Connor's tone is grim, "where were you?"

"I beg your pardon my lord?" Adrien doesn't move a muscle.

"You heard me, where were you? You knew we were going down there today and yet you weren't there." Connor turns to face Adrien.

Adrien chuckles lightly, "My lord, I hope you don't aim to place me as a suspect."

There was silence for a moment before Eloise bolts out of her chair, cursing and startling everyone in the dining area... except Adrien.

"What in god's name is wrong with you Eloise?!" Grey hisses.

"Where the hell is Elizabeth?" Eloise growls.

Everyone becomes wide eyed and looks around.... That's when I notice the untouched food, and empty seat beside Rodrich.

"It appears Lady Elizabeth never showed up," Adrien speaks, breaking the silence.

"After what had happened today, I'd say it was much more than that." Arthur chimes in.

"Where are her sleeping quarters?" I demand.

Do you intend on intruding on her private space?" Adrien raises a brow.

"Adrien," Connor hisses.

With a nod, Adrien waves his hand and leads us out of the room. I glance to Eloise and Arthur... once they nod their head, I draw my gun and we take off running, Eliza's life being risked.

*

"How long has it been since we last saw her?!" Ace pants.

"Almost an hour by now!" Eloise calls back.

"You don't think something happened to her do you?!" Rodrich questions.

"I hope to god not!" Arthur responds.

"I thought all the guest rooms were put near the front of the house!" I huff as we pass the last marker for the guest rooms.

"Unfortunately, there was a change of plans on the first night that wasn't announced." Adrien breaths.

"And what would that be?" Tex asks.

"Eliza didn't feel comfortable sleeping so close to a crime scene, so I slept in the room prepared for her and she has been sleeping in my room." Connor answers.

By the time we had reached the door, I realized that the only one not present, was Grey. Eloise tried to open the door but-

"It's locked!" Eloise pants.

"Adrien!" Connor growls.

"The key to your room went missing with the others my lord." Adrien heaves.

"Oh god what do we do?!" Violet panics.

"Everyone stand back!" A muffled voice warns.

"Look out!" I bellow, grabbing Eloise and taking her to the ground with me.

The clean sound of metal hitting wood could be heard just before a boom of wood splintering. I open my eyes to find the door shredded to bits. Behind me is grey with an empty plate under his arm, a sword in his left hand, and a fork in his mouth.

"I'm still waiting on dessert so let's finish this quickly shall we?" Grey speaks, removing the fork from his mouth.

"How can you be thinking about food at a time like this?!" Eloise growls.

"Forget him Eloise, we need to find Elizabeth!" Arthur howls.

We all burst into the room, the dust from the door still clouding everything. Everyone is coughing, slowly making their way into the room. That's when the familiar tang of blood filled my nose. I gasped, realizing we were too late...

Elizabeth was dead.