Ch.18 Ships, Austrians, and Theater

Arthur W.

It didn't matter what the conversation was, knowing how James was feeling I brought Ace over just to keep James from thinking about his brother. Every now and then, Eloise and I would share glances, just to make sure everything was alright.

"But really," Ace continues, "the true meaning of theater, at least to me, is not just reciting lines but feeling them."

"I'm sorry but you have completely lost me," James laughed nervously.

"No hard feelings James," Ace smiles, "at least you were actually listening, eh Arthur?" Ace elbows my shoulder, almost spilling my wine.

"I have better things to worry about than theater." I answer, jerking my head to Eloise.

"Oh right, Grey is here... never mind." Ace grumbles.

"If you two don't mind explaining to me, why on earth do Eloise and Grey keep fighting like this? It's like a cat taunting the guard dog, Grey being the cat of course." James has no idea... a cat and dog would tell those two to relax. I'm sure Thunder would if he could talk.

"Eloise was trained by her father to double wield a rapier. Though he had attended one of the top academies in England, graduated, and even was a part time teacher, Grey still can't seem to double wield." I explain.

"Is Violet anything like her sister?" James questions.

"Oh god no." Ace laughs. "Vi gets a little light headed when seeing blood if she knows for sure it's real."

"Violet also doesn't jump into any and every argument like Eloise does." I add. "Although..."

"Although what Arthur?" James wonders.

"Although, if we had to nit-pick, there is one trait that both of them share." Ace answers.

"And that would be?"

Ace and I take one look at eachother and answer in unison, "Bullheaded."

"Oh, right," James rolls his eyes as we burst out laughing.

"Might I be asking what this chatter is about?"

We look to our left to see a somewhat tall man standing there. He looks to be around my same age with dark brown hair and violet eyes. His skin is like mine though, telling by his thick accent he doesn't seem to be from around here.

"Who might you be good sir?" Ace asks.

"I'm, Rodrich Miller, a musical conductor from Austria."

"Austria eh? What might you be doing in England?" Ace questions.

"I moved here eight years ago due to the fact that at the time there were simply more options in England than my home. I personally prefer England much more than my home so I don't intend on coming back."

"Did you learn to speak english while growing up?" I ask.

"Yes as a matter of fact I did. Though, I suppose I would never get rid of my accent." Rodrich smiles lightly.

"It suits you," James beams, "and for someone who grew up in a different country, you speak english quite fluently."

"Thank you. It's honestly and honor to hear you say that." Rodrich nods.

"Pardon my intrusion but, if you don't mind I would like to join this conversation."

This woman had come alone. Her dress was a french grey with blue fabric and detail here and there. It was more of a ball gown type than the form fitting dress Eloise was wearing. Her rich black hair was pulled away from her face in a waterfall braid on the side of her head, her skin a sandy color, her eyes a seafoam green.

"Why certainly my lady." Rodrich bows at the waist to the woman.

"Quite the gentleman I see." The woman smiles.

"If it is not too much of a bother, what might your name be miss?" James asks.

"Oh how rude of me, I almost forgot. I'm Elizabeth Marrian."

"Marrian? You mean you're the owner of that ship manufacturing company?" I ask.

"Oh no, that's my husband. Unfortunately he was away on business in the states so he was unable to attend." Elizabeth explains.

"You're quite brave for attending alone Lady Elizabeth." Ace compliments.

"Oh, please just call me Eliza. Rolling out my whole name can get annoying if you know what I mean."

"That might be true but I find that it suits you," Rodrich smiles.

"Oh why thank you. Say, would any of you care to join me for a drink?" Eliza asks.

Ace and Rodrich agree almost instantly and start to walk away but I'm hesitant and stay by James for a moment longer.

"Go, don't let me hold you back." James insists.

"If you says so." I sigh.

I had walked away, but still kept an eye out.