Jack's Past

A/N: Contains spoilers from the Price of Freedom! I highly recomend reading that, but it is $500, so check your local library.

As I watched the first memory unfold, I felt Jack's hand tighten slightly on my leg. "Do you want me to stop?" I asked

"No," he replied. I watched as a younger Jack snuck into the dungeons of Shipwreck Cove, helping another pirate escape. The memory ended, and Jack started talking, showing me flashes of what he was talking about. "I broke the code, by releasing him. I wasn't allowed to go back. I was wrong about him and he forced me to serve him for a few weeks. Then he left me in a longboat in the middle of the ocean. A friend jumped overboard and joined me.

"When we reached land we started working for the East India Trading Company, and I eventually became Captain Nathanuke Bainbridge's First Mate. He was killed, by one of my old lovers and her crew. I saved the ship making a safe trip back. Beckett wanted me to take command of a slave ship. I refused."

I watched as Jack and Beckett talked about the other ship, Jack finally agreeing, to Captain it. "You know the ship as The Black Pearl, but she was originally called The Wicked Wench. After a few voyages for the Company, Beckett wanted me to search for the last island of Kerma.

"I found it. But knowing that Beckett would want to enslave the inhabitants of the island, I didn't tell him the location. He ordered me to deliver slaves to New Avalon. I don't like the idea of people being cargo, so I set them free in Kerma. The ruler, gave them shelter there.

"Beckett wasn't too happy about being disobeyed and sent five ships after me. When they did catch me, I was thrown into prison. I was there for a couple of months before they brought me to watch my ship be destroyed:

"You're going to destroy your own property?" Jack asked Beckett. "Just to get back at me?"

"She's not just a ship to you, Jack," Beckett replied. "And yes. That's exactly what I'm going to do."

"You're like a child. An overgrown, angry child. Just because you can't get what you want you do this."

"And what is it that I want, Jack?"

"Fear. Love. Respect. None of which you will get from me."

I watched them press the brand to Jack's arm, and I let go of him, breaking the connection. Jack pulled me onto his lap, hugging me. We were both shaking. "I'm sorry," I whispered. "I don't like seeing you in pain."

"I know, love," he replied, kissing my hair, "Maybe I should've stopped you, before we got to that part."

"How are you feeling?" I asked him.

"I'll be fine. Do you want me to tell you the rest?"

"No, I think I figured the rest out. You made that deal with Jones to bring back the ship. Renaming it the Black Pearl. Captained it for two years?" He nodded. "Then Barbossa led a mutiny against you, and you were on that island."

"There's more before that."

"You told stories about yourself, most of them lies."

"Yes, but some were true. How else would I have known the Pelegostos language?"

"I thought you were just making up words."

"Some I did, not all."

"I know you had other lovers."

"Yes. One I did fall in love with, however, it didn't really end well between us."

"You don't have to talk about that part."

"When Captain Teague became the Keeper of the Code, he gave his seat to me. I chose the Caribbean as my domain, instead of Madagascar, which was his. Around then I had gotten my sparrow tattoo. Then I picked up a crew in Tortuga, and we sailed for two years. Before the mutiny. After that, I actually spent some time as a Privateer, for the governor of Port Royal. The one before Elizabeth's father. I resigned after he returned to England to go after the Pearl. After a failed attempt, I went to Tortuga to figure out another plan."

"Then I ended up making my way to Port Royal again since after some unfortunate events my boat had holes in it."

"I'm curious why your boat had holes in it."

"Another story for another time, love." I started thinking, counting the years.

"That's when you saved me."

"Aye, you know the rest from there." He kissed my nose.

"I'm glad I met you," I whispered. "You won't leave me, right?"

"Never," he replied, kissing me. I smiled and rested my head on his chest.

"Next time try to choose a shorter memory. I feel tired now."

"I can carry you upstairs if you want to lay down." I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he lifted me, carrying me up the stairs. "Do you want the full body massage now or later?" he asked, laying me on the bed.

"I think we should both get some sleep since it's hard to sleep in a boat." Jack nodded, taking off his boots, then my shoes. I giggled, as he ran a finger along my foot.

"Your birthday's tomorrow," he said, looking at me. "What do you want to do?"

"What we did last year, plus my message." He laid down next to me kissing my lips. "I'll see you in the morning."

"I'll be here."