Chapter 4: All those damn smoothies

The next morning, Katherine woke up way too early in the morning and she couldn't go back to sleep after that. She decided to make herself a warm, delicious breakfast of bacon and eggs and catch up on her all-time favourite tv show, Modern Family.

She still had hours to waste before she was supposed to be meeting Dylan, Hayley and Victoria at the Downtown Café to get a head-start on their history project.

They had to do a presentation on motherf-ing The Great Depression. Seriously, who even cares anymore? Mrs Puckett, that's who.

Just the idea of having to work with Dylan and Hayley on a project for the next couple of months is enough to make her cringe. There's no way that they will be able to get this done with no arguments or whatsoever.

Well, at least she had Victoria with her. If things went too horrible, the two of them would just hand in an assignment of their own. Mrs Puckett would have to accept it, no matter what.

After watching 10 whole episode of Modern Family like the crazy maniac she is, Katherine finally decided to switch off her laptop and get some Calculus homework done.

Before she knew it, 2 hours had passed and she hadn't even been able to complete everything because she had been so distracted by the wall in front of her. Screw it, she thought to herself. It was time to go meet the group anyway.

She quickly showered, threw on the first top she could find- which was a tank-top, jeans and packed her stuff in her favourite denim-based bag.

If it was just Victoria that she had to meet then she wouldn't even have bothered putting on any make-up, that girl had seen her at her worst. But since Hayley and Dylan were going to be there.... she didn't want to take any chances, so she put on some light make-up.

She went downstairs and screamed, "Mom! I'm going to the Downtown Café to meet some classmates for a project!" Her mom replied from somewhere in their humungous house, "Okay! But be back by 5! We are having early family dinner!"

"Got it!" said Katherine as she put on her shoes and went to her car. She had already picked the kind of car she had wanted back when she was still in Roseville so that once she came back, she wouldn't have to waste time deciding and could immediately buy one. She had only got it 2 days ago.

She drove all the way to Downtown Café and the moment she reached there, she got a text from Victoria.

Kat, where are you? I'm the only one here and I feel awkward as hell. -Vic

Katherine quickly typed in a reply.

I'm outside. Going to park my car. Give me 5 minutes. -"Kat"

Katherine parked her car and walked in the cafe, where she saw her best friend sitting at a table in the extreme corner. She smiled at Victoria's attempt to be as discreet and unnoticeable as she could.

She went to the counter and ordered herself a cup of coffee before she went to sit down with Vic.

"Thank God you're here, my brother was annoying the crap out of me so I just left the house, saying I have to go meet a bunch of people. It wasn't until I got here that I realized that I might be a little too early."

"So, where are they? Weren't we supposed to meet at 1?"

"I have no idea, I've been texting Hayley but she isn't replying." Victoria paused to think about something, and then added, "Do you think that maybe they... stood us up?"