#12 : Headphones

HEADPHONES - JINAYEON

*

Once there was a boy. His name is Seokjin, but most people call him Jin. He doesn't have a lot of friends since he couldn't talk. It's not like he's mute, he just had this trauma of speaking when his stepdad beated his mother in front of him because of talking back. He stayed silent ever since. He usually goes to the park and sit on a tire swing and listen to his music. He likes listening to music using his headphones. The headphones start wearing off since it was given to him by his mother years ago.

And then there's a girl named Nayeon. She speaks, but have never listened to music even once. She doesn't own any musical instruments or even gadgets, so she can listen to them.

She found him sitting on his favorite spot; at the tire swing. He's using his headphones and is listening to music. When their eyes met, he felt this amazing connection between them and so did she. She headed towards him and offered him a smile. He smiled back.

"Hi," he waved his hand when she greeted him. "I'm Nayeon. Do you have anyone else with you?" He shook his head no. "Can you speak?" She asked and he nodded. "Why are you not talking, then?" He just shrugged both of his shoulders and offered her his headphones. "What are these?" He put the headphones on her ears and played his favorite song. He watched her face light up as the melody and the lyrics move her. "This is my first time to hear such beautiful thing." She said, amazed.

He's glad of what he heard from her.

*

They meet each other day after day. And in those days, he would play the songs that he wanted to play for her. Little did she know is that he speaks his feelings through the songs. He usually plays love songs and she would love it. She's happy to hear them.

"Do you have any sad songs?" She suddenly asked. Jin nodded and switched the love song into a sad song. Her smile became warm. They both stared at the sunset before their eyes.

She keeps on asking him for sad songs until she couldn't hear any happy ones anymore.

*

One day, Jin noticed that Nayeon is not smiling anymore. Whenever he plays the sad songs of her requests, she stays silent and keeps a straight face on, but he can read her sad eyes. He typed something on his phone and showed it to her.

"Why am I not happy anymore?" Nayeon asked Jin and he nodded. She sighed and looked at him. She held both of his hands. "Thank you for letting me hear music and letting me feel what sadness is. I didn't know this until I met you." He smiled because he thought that she's going to tell him what she feels. It's the first time that he would speak again after all of that trauma. She slowly took off the headphones and gave it to Jin. He gulped and words were suddenly spit out from his mouth.

"W-Where are you going?" He asked. Nayeon was astonished when she heard his voice.

"You showed me what sadness was." She stood up and looked from afar. "It's time for me to go now."

"W-Why?"

"I have to find someone who will show me what happiness was." With those words, she walked away from him. He didn't know how he should feel. If he only played his love songs again, then she would've stayed.

*

It's been a few years since they last saw each other, but they still found each other on the same spot the night they met. They greeted each other and layed down on the grass.

"Do you remember the song that was playing the night we met?" Nayeon asked.

Jin faced her, "No, but I remember every song I have heard since you left."

--*

Any couple requests?

Follow our collab acct: @fybangtwice

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!