Chapter 17 - Matteo: Arranged Couple

Comenzar desde el principio

When I visited Nicole, she handed me a paper bag. "Lunch."

"You didn't have to make me lunch. When Wacks sees this, he'll probably take it from me."

She grinned. "Made one for him, too. It's the least I could do since you always bring me fresh fruits. You spoil me too much."

When I arrived at the office, Wacks greeted me - it was something I've also grown accustomed to as well ever since he found out about Nicole.

"You visited wifey again?" It was his nickname for Nicole.

"Of course. Did yours drop by? Oh. I forgot. You don't have one."

He rolled his eyes. "Sumbong kita 'jan eh." But he never does anyway. I knew he didn't have the guts to do so even if he wanted to. Frances didn't even know he existed. [I'll tell on you]

He grabbed the paper bag Nicole gave me.

"Dude, have someone prepare your lunch next time."

"Can't Nicole be my wifey instead? You're so lucky, Teo!"

"You can't have her."

"But you're not dating. Damot talaga." He took his 'share' and went back to his cubicle. "If I were you, I'd definitely choose her. Stupid, Teo." [You're selfish]

"You know our set-up."

"Whatever. If you don't want her, I'll date her."

"You already have a Barbie, Ken." I teased. Barbie was one of our officemates. I knew Wacks hated her guts, and since I knew they were working on the same project, I couldn't help but tease him about it.

"Don't remind me. She's as annoying as ever! I can't believe Ms. Martina made me work with her," then he paused. "Oh yeah. YOU were the one who recommended it. Stupid, Teo." he grumbled.

I was 'saved' from Wacks' wrath by a sudden call. It was Nicole.

"What's up, Nic?"

"The baby kicked!"

That was a first. And I had to admit, I got excited when I found out. "I wanna see you."

"Who's that? Is that dream girl?" Wacks called out excitedly.

I heard Nicole laugh on the other line. "Tell Prince Charming I said 'hi'."

"Don't encourage him."

"Technically I'm still single."

"Yeah, but Wacks won't make you happy. He can't even make himself happy." I joked.

"I resent that, Stupid Teo." Wacks argued then walked back to his desk.

"Stop pestering him, Matteo. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know the baby kicked. We're going to have the ultrasound this weekend."

"Take care, Nic. I'll call you when I leave the office."

When I ended the call, Wacks turned his attention to me again. "Don't you find it odd that she acts more like your girlfriend than Frances? She rarely calls you and when she does, it's usually because she wants you to pick her up."

I didn't know how to respond to that because technically, he was right. "She's busy."

"Yeah, but not too busy to spend time with her best friend."

"Wacks, that's below the belt, man."

He shrugged. "I was just being honest."

"They don't see each other much. Art classes take up most of her time. We see each other as much as possible, Wacks. Cut her some slack."