𝟬𝟯𝟱. ⠀⠀⠀⠀one last time

Start from the beginning

Chris hurriedly grabbed a towel and took out the now burnt food placing it on top of the stove. Chris tilted his head picking up the burnt chicken breast.

"I mean, it's not that bad." Chris tried to reassure his girlfriend.

"Not bad? It's ruined!" She exclaimed.

"Now would be a bad time to check the cake." Elías murmured to Chris.

Lani's wide eyes looked between both boys. She quickly made her way over to the box ignoring the protesting boys.

"Happy 4th birthday dad." She read. "4th?!" She exclaimed, "Who has a four year old father?!" The two boys glanced to one another wincing at the stressed teen. "And mint icing? I specifically said turquoise! This-" She swiped her finger along the sweet cream, turning to face both boys. "-is not turquoise."

Elías slowly backed up, Chris glared at the boy who smiled innocently breaking into a run up the staircase to his room.

"Hey, it's not that bad we can fix it." Chris placed his hands on her shoulders turning her around.

"How? Do you have icing in your back pocket? Do you have a meal plan for four people?" She questioned, her frantic eyes looked into his calm hazel ones.

"No, but we can call Brien and she can make something within twenty minutes. As for the cake . . ." Chris looked to the box and shrugged, "Maybe, he won't notice." Lani scoffed at her boyfriend's words. "Let me see that smile." His lips twitched upwards seeing her hide her face. "Smile." He kissed her cheek repeatedly, a giggle escaped Lani's lips.

"Okay, fine, fine." She smiled looking up at Christoffer.

"Good. I'll call--"

"Children, the greatest father in the world is home!"

"Oh, no." Lani whispered.

Roy walked into the opening of the Santiago house coming to a halt sniffing the air turning to the couple across from him.

"When I say, 'don't burn down the house, while I'm gone.' I literally mean, don't burn it down." Roy joked, carrying the paper bags into the kitchen. He smiled seeing his daughter and Chris. "Uh-oh, what's with the frowns?"

"I ruined your birthday." Lani mumbled shrugging off Chris' hands, walking over to her father.

"Sweetheart-"

"Look." She pointed to the pot next to Chris. "And don't even get me started on your birthday cake-"

Roy smiled softly looking down at his daughter. "I would have been fine with pizza and a movie with my kids. And you." He glanced to Chris who nervously smiled to the intimating man.

"I just wanted it to be like how mom used to do it." She said quietly.

Roy's eyes softened at the mention of his late wife. "Look, why don't we order some pizza and eat the cake whilst we watch a movie?" He suggested. Lani gnawed on her lip in thought, "I'll even let you choose this time, not Elías."

"Rude!" A voice shouted from above the three.

Lani nodded, a small smile graced her lips as she looked at her father.

"You." Roy pointed to Chris whose wide hazel eyes met with his own. "Help this one choose a movie."

Chris nodded rapidly making his way over to Lani who stifled a chuckle seeing the boy nearly trip over his feet.

Roy left the couple to call for their dinner.

"See, he does like you." She smiled to the boy next to her.