Part 75

bold - alex
regular - felicity

Alex's POV

Tuesday night sets with a chilly breeze, but Felicity refuses to go inside. Greyson is peacefully snoring on the couch inside, and I listen to the creak of the trees as we lay on the ledge outside Felicity's window.

Felicity has her knees drawn under her chin, arms tightened around her legs. "The stars are coming out. They're gorgeous."

I stifle a smile, as I leap on the chance to use my cheesy pick up line. "Not as gorgeous as you."

She smiles, instead of scolding me, and leans her head on my shoulder. I carefully slide my arm under her head.

"You are very warm."

"That's the closest I'll get to you saying that I'm hot, right?"

She rolls her eyes. "Would you just be normal for once and enjoy this moment with me?"

I grin as I tuck her hair away from my face. She doesn't look at me, but I know she's smiling. "Are we having a moment? Sorry, I was too distracted by your face."

She finally turns towards me. "Alex. Stop." Her words are punctuated with a playful smirk.

"Sorry."

"Forgiven."

The air swells with sounds of nature. Felicity yawns.

"You should go to sleep now."

"Mm. Look who's talking."

"Fel."

"Alex."

We stare at the sky, watching birds make their way home. Felicity doesn't move from her position. Her hair tickles my nose. I weave my fingers through hers, and she squeezes my hand.

I want to stay like this forever, with the girl I've had a crush on for as long as I can remember.

"You are the best girlfriend ever," I whisper.

"Completely out of the blue topic, but since we are talking about that - haven't you had zero girlfriends before me?"

"I had - uh - one girlfri-"

"Fiona from second grade does not count."

I grin, turning my head to rest my chin on her head. She looks up at me through her lashes. "I don't talk about Fiona, ever, Fel. She broke up with me."

"You told everyone she still wore diapers."

"Well, she took my gummy bears."

"Big baby."

"Hey. Well, if you must know, I only said she was my girlfriend."

"Hm. What's the difference?"

"I didn't like her. I liked you."

She smiles, her eyelids fluttering shut as I brush a kiss on her forehead. "Was seven-year-old Alex trying to play the jealous game?"

"Maybe. But you, on the other hand, didn't pay any attention to me. You dated all the cool guys in elementary school."

"I was young. I didn't realize how ridiculous second-grade boyfriends were. And you should have said something sooner. We wouldn't have hated on each other so much."

"I did tell you I liked you."

"Hm?"

"At the end of third grade. I asked you to be my girlfriend."

"I don't remember."

"You told me, "I'm too young to be lascivious." Like, what does that even mean?"

"Feeling lustful. I probably heard someone say it when I was younger. I definitely didn't know what that meant."

"I'm really glad you didn't."

She sits up slowly, and looks at me. I wink at her. "Did you say you third grade?"

I flash her a smile. "Surprised? I might have even confessed my adoration before you rejected me. How traumatizing."

She covers her face with her hands. "Oh my gosh, Alex. For nine years?"

"I feel like I've told you this before."

"Probably." She thinks about it for a while. Minutes pass and we just enjoy each other's company.

A hesitant pause is followed by, "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything, m'lady."

"Do you remember that night after the Winter Formal our freshman year?"

"Um." I sit up, my heart suddenly pounding. Memories of that night flashes through my head and hits home. "Yes?"

"Remember how I ran away after ... you know."

"Yes...?"

"Do you know why I ran away?"

Memories from the formal flashed in my head. "No." I think I did.

"You said that you -" She stops short. "Is this okay talking about this?"

A/N One more part! Questions questions questions :)