Part 62

Alex's POV

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

The clock clicks in impatience. Greyson's leg bounces with excess energy. Dr. Hollister's barked orders floats out of the operation room door swings open and close, as assistants and doctors run to comply to her instructions.

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Flail chest.

I don't even want to look it up.

Felicity looked deathly pale on her way to the hospital. Eyes closed, arm bent at a strange angle, and chest and head bleeding. Burned forearm. I begged her to wake up the entire ride, before her stretcher was rushed the ER, and I was barred from her.

Dr. Hollister had burst into the ER with Greyson at her heels, forcing her way into the operation room.

And Greyson and I waited, in the hallway aside the room, sitting on plastic chairs a kind nurse has brought for us.

I couldn't look him in the eye.

"She's going to be okay." Greyson's voice is strained. "She has to. This is just a scare prank-"

My eyes prickle.

"Grey-"

He shakes his head. "It's just - she's gonna just -"

"Grey, I'm so sorry."

His head drops into his hands and he cries.

I haven't seen him cry since Sera died on impact. And if Fel leaves - no matter how big of a hole she'll leave in my life, I can't imagine how destroyed Grey will be.

She can't leave.

Yet, her life hangs on a thread thin as the clear threads holding the last of the ripped jeans together.

The car had been flipped on its side, the drivers side crushed into the ground, window splintered. Medics pulling her out of the burning car. Firefighters frantically attacking the flames bursting up. And I can't get the image of the blood spider-webbing across her pale skin, eyes unmoving, hair matted and decorated with blood.

"Alex?"

I lift my head and look at my best friend. His eyes are red.

"What happened?"

"I-" I choke. "My mom. Dad hit her an-and I called Fel to help."

Greyson shuffles closer towards me. "Is you mom okay?" He sniffs.

I nod dully. "She's resting. The doctor said she'll be fine."

"Is that why you weren't at school recently? Do the school people know?"

I lean back in my chair, slumping. "Yes. And kind of."

"Are you going to tell the police now?"

I sound like a deflated balloon as I sigh. "I want to."

"I can help."

"Thank you."

He stands up, pats my back and walks away to study the vending machines. I don't miss the tears in his eyes.

A/N I'm sorry I'm sorry *crams mouth with crackers*