Chapter 33: Charlie's Full of Questions

Lydia, you're taking Charlie to school today. When he gets there make sure his shoes are still tied. Sometimes they don't stay tied." Kelsey said as she slid a backpack onto the 5 year old.

"Okay mom." Lydia said, a little too distracted by her phone. Kelsey frowned. "Lydia Marie. Phone up before I take it and listen to me."

Lydia does as told. "Yes?" Kelsey rolled her eyes and repeated her instructions.
Lydia nodded and watched her mom leave for work.

Lydia and Charlie left for school 30 minutes later. On the way there Charlie was singing to himself.

"What are you singing?" Lydia asked. Her hand holding his. "A new song I learned in school." He replied with a grin.

2 of Charlie's front teeth were missing. "Okay. We're here kiddo. Have fun. I'm heading to Cerise's house. She's driving me to school okay?

Charlie rushed onto the playground where all his friends were. "Okay! Bye bye Lydia!"  The small child waved.

"Hi Charlie!" A little boy yelled. "LANGSTON!" Charlie replied excitedly. Langston is Charlie's very best friend.

"I became a big brother last night." Langston said. Charlie began climbing a jungle gym. "To what?" He asked. "A baby! Duh." His friend replied.

Charlie shrugged "where do babies even come from?" He asked. Langston shrugged. "I'm pretty sure they come out of a mommy's butt.

Charlie smiled. "Babies don't come out of butts." He said with a giggle and then his face got serious. "Do they?"

His friend shrugged.

Soon the kids were called in. The teacher got them sat down for circle time. "Does anyone have any questions?"

"I do! Do babies come out of mommies butts?" Charlie exclaimed. The teacher was at a loss for words. "I'm sorry?" She asked.

He repeated his question. She began laughing. Charlie was confused "what's so funny?" He asked.

"Nothing..... nothing." She replied as she regained her composure. Charlie still wondered so he asked his parents when he got home.

———

Later that day Charlie came home from school. "Daddy? Where do babies come from? Langston said they come out of butts."

Rob was taken aback a bit. He wasn't sure how to explain it. "Uh.... well... babies come out of mommies. Your sister came out of mommy and so did you. You were born on May 18th. A doctor had to come get you out of mommy's tummy. She had to push. That's how you got out."

Charlie cocked his head to the side. "How did I get in her tummy?" He asked. Rob wouldn't go into detail. With a shrug Rob said "I helped."

"Why was I in mommy's tummy?" He asked. Rob laughed. "Because we wanted you in there. So you could grow and come out."

Charlie began asked loads of questions. Leading Rob to tell him the story of his birth.

"We had one date night and the next day you were born. You were just.... ready. You came in the evening. It was alot of pain but we were so happy when you finally arrived."

"Why were you so happy?" Charlie asked. Rob knelt down and kissed his head. "Because we were ready to meet you too Charles Warren."