Chapter 11: Search

When Stephen woke up he looked around the room with confusion. "Hey buddy. How are you feeling?" Adam asked.

"I think I'm ok." Stephen replied. "We're so happy you're ok." Ericha said and hugs him.

Stephen's phone goes off with a text. "Dad, Cerise never went to school." He said. "What?! Ok. Ericha, stay here with Stephen. I'll find Cerise." Adam said.

Adam left the building and drove home first. He went inside and went throughout the entire house calling her name.

When he couldn't find her, Adam got back into the car and drove around town. His main concern? Her safety.

"Lord, where could she be?" He asked with tears streaming down his cheeks. He searched everywhere she likes to go.

He drove to the movies, he drove to the skating rink. He drove to the bowling alley. Everywhere he looked, he couldn't find her.

Adam started panicking more and more with every passing hour. He prayed and prayed that he would find her.

Just as he was about to give up, he spotted a familiar car about 6 blocks from the school. Cerise's Red corvette. He looked around the car until he finds Cerise sitting on the side.

"Daddy!" She cried. Adam was relieved that he finally found his baby girl. He wrapped her in a huge hug. "Baby girl what happened?!" He asked.

Cerise started bawling. "I got lost. My car broke down and I didn't have a way to call you. I couldn't find my way home. Are you mad?"

Adam continued to hug her. "No. No I'm not mad. I'm just happy you're safe. The worst feeling in the world is thinking that you're not ok."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for disrespecting you. I'm sorry for sneaking boys into my room. I'm sorry." Cerise said.

"Right now, I don't care what you've done wrong. It just proves that you're not a perfect child. Come on. Let's get home." Adam replied.

He helped her to the car and drove home. Cerise talked the whole way and Adam didn't mind. He was happy hearing her voice.

———

Later that night, as Cerise fell asleep. Adam found himself checking on her every couple hours. Just like he did when she was a baby.