Chapter 24: Sisters Somehow Understand

"Hunter! Get up and get around bud! It's a weekday!" Chance yelled from the dining room as he set breakfast plates in front of his two daughters.

Hunter sat up, yawned, grabbed his mouth in pain, and slid out of bed. Without getting dressed, the teenager came down the stairs in pajama bottoms with no shirt.

"Oh come on now.... you have 2 sisters and a mother who live here. Get a shirt on would you?" Chance said and rolled his eyes.

Hunter responded with a soft nod. Chance cocked his head to the side. "What? No words? Not gonna argue with me?"

He shook his head. Chance noticed the pain. He sat in front of him. "Open." He instructed. Hunter did. Chance grabbed an apple off the counter. "Take a bite."

Hunter took one bite and grabbed his mouth in pain "AH!" He yelled. Chance nodded. "Yup.... off to the dentist."

Jubilee, being that she was only 8, didn't understand why he had pain. "Daddy what's wrong with him?" She asked.

Chance pushed a piece of black hair out of her face. Admiring how much she looked like her mama. "Well.... Hunter has some pain in his mouth so daddy is taking him to the dentist. You're staying here with sissy while we go. She's gonna watch you until mommy gets here."

River of course complained. "But daaaad I don't want to babysit...." She exclaimed in a whiny tone.

"Watch that tone of yours missy or it's no phone for a month." He snapped back. River immediately straightened up but mentally complained as she took Jubilee to the Family room.

Chance and Hunter left. Jubilee took full advantage of her sister while the two were gone. She could see she didn't want to watch her.

Jubilee would ask for things and River would respond with "get it yourself!" She got fed up with her big sister fairly quick.

"Look. I don't like you watching me any more than you want to be watching me. You're my big sister. Why are you so mean to me?" She asked.

The question hit River hard. She frowned. "Well?" The demanding 8 year old asked. River shifted uncomfortably.

"I guess I'm jealous. You have parents that have loved you from the start. I didn't." She told her.

Jubilee climbed into her lap. "Daddy says we're all special. No matter where we came from. I know I can be a brat... but it's because you don't talk to me. You only fight with me. That's not what big sisters are supposed to do. I know I'm annoying. You don't have to keep reminding me."

River hugged her. "I'll stop arguing with you if you promise not to snoop around in my room."

Jubilee shook her head. "I can't promise I won't snoop. That's just a baby sister thing. Can I ask a question?"

River nodded. "Sure. Go ahead." She watched her think. "Well?" She asked in the same demanding tone her sister gave her.

She pushed a piece of hair behind her ear. "So, when did you start liking girls?" River thought for a minute "oh... about... two years ago? But I mean... I like both....."

"So you like boys and girls? Is that legal?" She asked.

River giggled. "Yes. It's legal to like both." Jubilee doesn't understand what bisexuality is fully yet but she knows what love is.

The next few words that came out of her mouth shook River to the core. "Love is love. You like who you like and that's okay. Be it boys, girls, or both."

Her sister is wise beyond her years.