Chapter 20: It's Okay.

"Babe?" Ericha called from the living room. "Yeah!" Adam, who was still in his office making beats, responded.

"Did you notice that Rosemary isn't developing at a normal rate? She's 7 months old. She doesn't respond to her name. She can't crawl. No matter how hard she tries." Ericha said.

Adam took a deep breath. "Ok. No need to panic. Let's take her to a specialist and see what's wrong."

Ericha nervously nodded. The two climbed into the car with the baby. Soon, they were on their way to see the specialist.

———

"What seems to be the problem?" Was the first question the couple received when they entered the room.

Ericha explained what was going on. The doctor nodded. "Ok, well, with the age you two are at... birth defects are a definite risk."

Ericha frowned. "We know." Adam said in slightly annoyed tone. The doctor took some blood from Rosemary.

Rosemary started screaming as soon as the needle entered her little arm. Adam's heart shattered at the sound. He held her close.

"Shh baby girl. Daddy knows it hurts." Adam consoled. Rosemary cried on Adam's chest until she fell asleep.

The doctor came back with the test results. "I have good news and bad news. Bad news is she has autism. Good news is that it's mild and she'll live a typically normal life. Aside from the occasional meltdown and ticks." He said.

Ericha's heart sunk slightly but was glad to hear it was mild. "As long as she'll still get the most out of life.... I think we can manage. I work with kids with Autism. It's an everyday struggle but kids like her are very unique."

The doctor smiled softly. "Yes, they truly are." He replied and let them go. The couple took the baby girl home and put her to bed.

"You ok?" Adam asked, having noticed his wife didn't talk the entire way home. Ericha nodded.

He shook his head. "No you're not. Babe, we've been married 19 years. I think I know you well enough to know that you're not ok. It's ok to not be ok. It's ok to be worried. It's ok to be scared."

A/N: I have a little brother. A little brother who is special needs but he tells me he loves me 500+ times a day. He is one of the sweetest kids I know. I know he's a little different but no he's just as playful and loving as any other kid his age. -Alexis