Chapter 23

Philip stood in his office alone, staring down at some papers and sifting quietly through them.

The manor was silent, and there was a hush over the place now.

Philip raised his head, turning to glance through the window. It was a sunny day, the air was warm and comfortable, and in the blue sky above, the clouds drifted lazily by.

Philip wondered then, if Aubrey had made it to the docks, and he wondered if the ferry had left yet. The docks were not far from the manor, just a short drive.

'I hope he's gone now' Philip mumbled to himself. 'I hope I never have to see him again.'

The office door opened then, and Philip looked around.

Haru entered the office, glaring at him.

'One of the housekeepers said they saw Aubrey here' Haru spoke, his voice weak, cheeks still flushed.

His fever was still high.

'You shouldn't be out of bed' Philip said to him. 'You should be resting, you're still sick.'

'What happened to Aubrey?' Haru demanded. 'Where is he?!'

'He left' Philip said. 'He doesn't care that you're sick.'

'I don't believe you' Haru snarled hatefully. 'You...you're lying.... why would he come this way just to leave? He came to see me...where is he? I want to see him.'

'He's gone, I told you' his father said patiently, pursing his lips as he put the papers he held down, turning to face Haru fully now. 'He doesn't care about you.'

'I don't believe you' Haru said again. 'He loves me....and I love him.'

'You are to have nothing to with him' Philip spoke firmly to him, rising from his seat, his manner threatening. 'You are to marry Jasmine.'

'I do not love her!' Haru cried, slamming his hands down upon the desk. 'And she doesn't love me. I love Aubrey! And I don't care what you think about anything anymore. My life is my own! Not yours! I will not marry Jasmine. I do not love her! I love Aubrey. I love Aubrey.'

'Aubrey is gone.'

'What have you done?' Haru demanded.

'Aubrey has left.'

'Left?'

'He's going home.'

'Home?' Haru faltered. He gasped then. 'You've sent him away?'

'I don't want to see him ever again.'

Haru drew a deep breath, balling his fists and gritting his teeth. He teetered on the spot for a moment, grasping the desk for support as shock, fear, uncertainty and many different emotions washed over him. But was would not fall, he was determined to stay standing. He didn't want to succumb to his weakness. Aubrey was the only thing that mattered in the world.

'You won't see either of us ever again.'

'Haru!'

Haru turned tailed and ran out of the room, ignoring his father's cries as he called after him, but Haru didn't care. He thought of only one thing as he ran down the stairs of the manor, tearing through the entrance hall.

'Aubrey....' Haru gasped. 'Aubrey please....'

He left the home, running down the driveway and through the gates, skidding suddenly to a halt as he suddenly recognised a figure he did not expect to see.

'S-Sasha!'

'Haru!'

She rushed up to him, embracing him tightly.