Chapter 12

The others were with Sasha when she was first told, and she fell to her knees in despair, crying openly, hysterically into her hands, trying to deny what had happened, saying over and over again how it could not be real.

'This can't be real. She's still alive! She has to be!'

Aubrey embraced Haru, crying silently into his shoulder as Haru stared at Sasha, speechless, beside them Ben stood alone, eyes wide and to the floor in shock.

'Sasha' the teacher spoke tenderly, 'I'm so sorry...'

*

*

The funeral was a few days later, all classes were closed that day, and her friends and family gathered at the church.

It was cloudy, and the air was heavy with moisture. It threatened rain, but for the longest time it held off.

Sasha approached the coffin before it was lowered into the ground, leaning over it and sobbing, grasping at the wood as tears streamed down her cheeks.

Haru glanced up at her, eyes teary and heart twisting in his chest.

He watched as an older female figure he did not recognise stepped forward then, grasping Sasha lightly by the arm and pulling her gently back.

Sasha straightened, stepping back and burying her face in her hands, her body trembling all over.

When the ground was covered, and the headstone stood there before the fresh dirt, Sasha approached the grave, placing a bouquet of purple tulips before the white headstone.

After that, when most of the others had gone, Sasha and her friends still remained.

Haru found Sasha at the edge of the graveyard alone, sitting back against a tree, eyes red from crying.

Haru approached her.

'W-we're going home now' Haru said to her. 'I mean.... back to school. The cars are waiting... and um....'

He broke off, glancing away.

'We were worried' Haru went on, 'we were wondering where you went.'

Sasha still did not respond, but continued to sit back against the tree, staring up at the clouds.

She gasped then, a tear running down her cheek.

'It just isn't fair' she breathed, her voice weak and rasping. 'I can't believe this has happened.'

Haru approached her, kneeling before her, 'if there is anything I can do for you' he began, 'I mean......we're all here for you and... I'm sorry I'm not good at this.'

'I tried to help her' Sasha breathed slowly. 'I..... I'm so sorry Amelia' she spoke to the air. 'I'm sorry I was not good enough to save you. I'm sorry I couldn't do enough.'

'Sasha....'

She gritted her teeth, grasping at the hem of her dress, pulling her knees up to her chest.

'I love Amelia....I loved her.'

'I know about.... you two' Haru said.

'What?' Sasha gasped, eyes wide with shock. 'I never...told anyone.'

'Amelia told me' Haru said to her sadly, tears in his eyes. 'I.... the truth is I..... I was crying one day, can you believe it?' he spoke, the edges of his lip twitching. 'She found me in the drama hall, and she comforted me. I told her...' Haru broke off then, eyes becoming distant as he thought back to that day. 'I want to tell you something' he said to Sasha, 'but I want you to keep it a secret.'