Chapter 21

Aubrey had tried to get into the room but was surprised to find the door had been locked, and so he could do nothing.

He came back the next day to try to see him, accompanied by Sasha and Ben this time. But the nurse would not let them into the hospital wing at all, and they were all stopped at the entrance.

'Where is Haru?' Aubrey demanded. 'I want to see Haru.'

'I'm sorry' the nurse replied firmly, 'but he's very sick. He's not taking any visitors right now.'

'That's rubbish' Aubrey scoffed.

'I'm sorry' the nurse spoke in a firmer voice. 'He is not taking any visitors.'

'This is fucking ridiculous' Aubrey hissed at that.

'Aubrey' Sasha spoke nervously, 'you shouldn't use language like that...'

Aubrey turned to glare back at Sasha, tears of frustration in his eyes.

'He's our friend' Aubrey spoke defiantly. 'We can't just ignore him...'

'There's nothing we can do' Ben spoke softly from his other side.

'I want to see him' Aubrey snapped at her, '...I.... I want to see him...'

He fell silent, staring down at the floor then. The others watched him, surprised by his reaction.

'We should maybe come back later' Ben suggested. 'We don't want to cause a scene.'

'Come on' Sasha prompted, taking Aubrey by the arm gently. 'We should go...'

'Why won't you let us see him?' Aubrey demanded again.

'Aubrey please' Sasha spoke patiently, as before them the nurse stood there impassive.

'Why is he sick all of a sudden?' Aubrey said becoming more hysterical, 'what happened to cause him to be ill?'

'Aubrey!'

'Why are you getting so upset?' Ben asked him, becoming a little scared himself. Aubrey please stop.'

Aubrey jerked his arm out of Sasha's grasp, turning and stalking away. The others followed after him.

Sasha and Ben took him to a quiet place after that to speak to him.

Sitting in an empty classroom now, they spoke.

'What is wrong with you?' Ben asked him. 'Why are you so upset over this? Haru's been sick before, you know he'll be fine.'

'Its his father' Aubrey hissed under his breath. 'His fathers done something to cause him this stress to fall so ill.'

Sasha watched Aubrey with wide eyes, glancing briefly to Ben before looking back at Aubrey.

'You see.... the truth is......' Aubrey began reluctantly, '...I love Haru...'

The others watched him in a silence that stretched on.

'We all care about Haru' Ben told him, 'and we miss him too.'

'No' Aubrey shook his head. 'You don't understand' Aubrey told him, 'I love him...we love each other...we are in love....'

The silence stretched, and for a time, Aubrey said nothing.

'We've......had sex......' Aubrey said, his heart constricted in his chest. 'We've......had sex.......'

Aubrey buried his face in his hands, beginning to shudder and sobbing quietly.

'I love Haru...' Aubrey whimpered, 'I would die for him......'