Chapter 14

Haru glanced up, giving a slight gasp as he suddenly noticed Aubrey there in the doorway.

'A-Aubrey' he fumbled, rising quickly to his feet, 'I just.... I-I didn't see you there.'

Aubrey slowly closed the door behind him, approaching Haru, the floor of the hall was pure white, reflecting Aubrey's profile.

'What are you doing here?' Haru asked him.

'I came to find you.'

'Were you crying?'

'That was beautiful.'

'Hu?' Haru blinked in confusion.

'I didn't realise you could play so beautifully.'

'Oh' Haru said. 'Well, I've been practicing all my life. I love to play. The violin too....um.... it just....' he laughed awkwardly then. 'It makes me happy. I like to draw as well.'

'I didn't know.'

Haru stared back at him, eyes wide.

Aubrey glanced away then awkwardly.

'I um' Aubrey began, 'ah jeez I've lost my words now' he laughed, suddenly flustered, shifting and scratching the back of his head. 'That's weird' he said to himself. 'I've never been embarrassed like this before.'

'What?' Haru said.

'I'm sorry' Aubrey straightened then, lowering his arm and looking back at Haru now. 'I just wanted to see you, but you weren't in your room.'

'You really are awkward' Haru smiled.

'What?'

'I've never seen you like this before' Haru giggled behind his hand, 'it's really sweet.'

Aubrey swallowed nervously, cheeks flushing a little.

'Stop it' he mumbled, glancing away.

'I'm sorry.'

Aubrey looked back at Haru.

'I'm kinda jealous of you' Aubrey said. 'I don't really have any talent in anything. I couldn't do what you can do.'

They went outside after that, walking through the peaceful night together.

'I love this' Haru sighed then, slowing to a stop as he tilted his head up towards the sky. 'Its so different at night, like we're in another place entirely.'

The clouds were thick overhead, keeping the warmth over the earth. There were no stars that could be seen, but the moon shone faintly through the clouds.

'I love the moon' Haru said. 'Its so pretty, like a lantern in the sky. I like the sun but.... you can't look at it because its so bright. The moon is different, they are like twins to one another, so similar yet so different.'

'What are you talking about?' Aubrey laughed.

'Oh, its nothing really' Haru grinned sheepishly at himself, hunching his shoulders. 'Its just a story my mother told me once.'

'You don't talk about your family much.'

'No' Haru said. 'I am an only child, and the only family I have now is my father. My mother....' he frowned slightly to himself then, 'I miss her so much, but....' Haru fell silent for a moment. 'I don't have any siblings, I wish I did. It would have been nice to have some company.'

Aubrey listened silently, watching him out of the corner of his eye.

'I don't get on with my father' Haru went on, 'he just.... he doesn't love me.'