Chapter 2

The next day after the morning classes were finished, Haru sat upon a stone wall on the edge of the grounds. It was a raised platform built in a circle, the flower bed behind him was filled with colour, and a small tree hung over him, its branches drooping.

He sat alone in silence, staring down at his carton of juice.

In the distance he could hear other people with their friends, laughing as they enjoyed each other's company. There was another group nearby playing with a Frisbee, throwing it back and forth. They all sounded very happy.

Haru let out a sigh, bowing his head further. He squeezed the carton of juice lightly, fiddling absent mindedly with the little white straw at the top.

He heard movement then, seeing something out of the corner of his eye.

He turned, giving a start at the sight of the figure, hooded and cloaked all in black, the figure sidled up beside him.

'Haru...' the figure spoke in a foreboding and dramatic voice, face hidden completely by the low hood. 'Meet me in the drama hall in five minutes.'

Haru stared back at the figure in shock, eyes wide and mouth open.

'.... Aubrey?'

'Don't be late' Aubrey said rising to his feet and gliding dramatically backwards, slipping around a corner and out of sight.

Haru stared after him a little confused, wondering what that was all about. He looked ahead again, straightening up and quickly finishing his carton before putting the rubbish in his bag. He made his way across the grounds, heading to the drama hall, following Aubrey's path.

*

*

'Hey you made it!' Aubrey called out happily as Haru let the doors swing gently shut behind him.

Aubrey stood there wearing the same cloak but now with the hood lowered, and he watched as Haru stood there at a distance looking nervous.

'Come child' Aubrey spoke, reaching a hand out to him, 'there is nothing to be afraid of young one...you are safe with me.'

'W-what's going on?' Haru mumbled, stepping closer, seeing the others in the hall, Amelia and Sasha and Ben, they were carrying stuff around and unpacking boxes of costumes.

'We're holding a little play' Aubrey told him spiritedly, clutching at his own chest, balling the dark fabric up in his hands. 'I'm naked underneath you know.'

'What?'

'Just kidding!' Aubrey gleamed, smacking Haru playfully on the shoulder a little too hard.

Haru straightened up, rubbing his shoulder and frowning nervously as Aubrey walked away from him, talking to the others.

'Will you hurry up?! Is this going to take all day?'

'Be quiet!' Sasha instantly snapped back at him. 'I don't see you helping!'

'I'm carrying this cloak' Aubrey answered curtly, indicating the cloak he was wearing, and saying so as if he were doing a wonderful thing.

'Oh, hey Haru, it's good to see you' Sasha said ignoring Aubrey now.

She put the box she was carrying down.

'Aubrey was talking so long I thought he'd never find you' Sasha said.

'Why...' Haru asked nervously, 'why do you want to find me?'

'We want to show you our play' Sasha grinned excitedly.

'We're putting on a play' Amelia said to him, sitting upon a seat a short distance away, beginning to unpack the box before her.