Chapter 15

In the days that followed, Sasha and Haru spent more and more time together, growing closer. They needed each other, now more than they did before. Sasha after suffering such a loss in her life opened up to Haru. And Haru, having lost his mother whom he had loved dearly, helped her come to terms with what had happened. With Haru's help, Sasha's heart slowly began to mend.

'Thank you' Sasha said to Haru several weeks later. 'I.... I don't know where I would be now if it were not for you. You've helped me so much.'

'I haven't really done anything' Haru grinned.

He felt so relaxed around her, and he had enjoyed the time they had spent together alone.

'You understand my feelings in a way no one else has' Sasha mumbled, 'not my own family.... only Amelia.'

'Yeah' Haru mumbled, facing ahead again and leaning forwards on his knees.

They sat on a bench side by side. It was lunchtime, and the day around them was bright and peaceful.

'Do you still miss your mother?' Sasha said to Haru then. 'Even though she's been gone for years?'

'Of course I do' Haru smiled weakly. 'I miss her so much.... it hurts me even now.' He let out a sigh, hanging his head. 'She died of an illness, the same illness I....' he frowned then. 'I am physically weak like she was' Haru said. 'I wish I wasn't weak. But she was strong in other ways, her personality.... she was always kind, always. She was never unkind to anyone, and always so kind and forgiving. But she had a fire in her soul, she was passionate. She had such a strong personality and worked hard to chase her dreams.'

'What were her dreams?' Sasha asked.

'She was musically gifted' Haru replied. 'I learned the piano and violin from her, and continued to practice after she had died.'

'That's really sweet' Sasha said to him.

'Yeah. I remember we used to practice together. My father would get angry about the noise, I was terrified of him, but she was strong. She would stand up to him. They came together purely for uh...business and money purposes. They never loved each other. I never really had much to do with my father, and rarely saw him. But my mother always cared for me, she never even raised her voice to me. Not once.' Haru smiled at the memory. 'I looked up to her. I loved her so much. And I admired her.'

'What was she like?' Sasha asked.

'She was a lot like me' Haru replied. 'I mean.... I'm a lot like she was, I am more like my mother than my father. I am nothing like my father.'

'You don't talk about your father at all' Sasha noted then. 'Why?'

'I don't like him' Haru mumbled. 'He doesn't care for me.'

'What do you mean?'

Haru frowned, hunching his shoulders. 'My father has a lot of money' Haru said, 'a lot of money. He cares only for his business, and of money. He... he... uh...'

'What it is?'

'Please don't tell anyone' Haru blurted, gritting his teeth and beginning to cry then.

'Oh Haru' Sasha spoke softly, 'what is it?'

'I'm sorry' Haru whispered. 'I shouldn't be like this. I have to control myself. I have to control myself.'

He took a deep breath, then another. Several times until he calmed himself.

'I am engaged' Haru spoke, 'to a girl. Her name is Jasmine.'