Chapter 10

The next time Haru saw Aubrey, was the next day in the drama hall.

It was lunchtime, and as usual they expected to meet up in the hall again to practice the play, but Amelia and Ben had not shown up.

'Man, where are they?' Aubrey groaned. 'It's rude to keep people waiting, what's the deal?'

'I hope everything's alright' Sasha worried.

'Are you alright?' Aubrey asked Haru then. 'You look a little upset.'

'Oh no I'm fine' Haru smiled.

'Ok good' Aubrey beamed merrily back at him, before quickly turning away again.

But Haru's attention lingered on Aubrey just a little longer, and he began to wonder then, did he dare to speak what was on his mind?

Sasha and Amelia act as a couple if not in secret, would it be possible that Aubrey could ever accept me?

Haru let out a sigh, bowing his head. He stared at his lap sadly.

'Aubrey' he began, his heart beating painfully in his chest. 'Um...I wanted to ask you something.'

'What is it squirt?' Aubrey replied happily.

Squirt?

'I...um...' Haru mumbled.

'I can't hear you' Aubrey said.

Haru closed his mouth again, blinking back nervous tears.

I can't do this...

Haru glanced nervously up, seeing that Aubrey was already losing interest.

'Oh look here comes Amelia' Aubrey called out then.

'Is she crying?' Sasha worried, seeing he coming closer. 'Amelia what's wrong?'

'It's Ben' she sobbed, 'he's in the hospital...nurse's office...he's sick....'

*

*

'I promise I'm fine' Ben told them a short while later. 'I just had an asthma attack.'

'Wait what? Someone attacked you?' Aubrey gasped.

Sasha immediately smacked him over the back of the head. 'Idiot. Open your ears.'

'Don't you strike me!' Aubrey bellowed back.

The two began to wrestle in the background as Amelia leant forwards, hugging Ben tightly and completely ignoring the commotion going on behind her.

'I'm so glad you're alright' Amelia sobbed.

'I promise I am' he laughed, holding her back.

'I uh......didn't know you had asthma' Haru mumbled awkwardly then, as Amelia let him go, straightening up again.

'Yeah well...' Ben glanced away, 'it's not something I like to talk about. I feel great now though' he told the others, grinning widely. 'Really I do....in fact...' he swung his legs off the edge of the bed then, rising to his feet. 'I feel myself again.'

Haru stared at Ben wide eyed, feeling great admiration in his heart for his character then.

He's so cool.

'So, when will you be able to continue practicing with us?' Aubrey asked Ben.

'Now' Ben replied. 'Best get a move on. We've only got a bit of time left.'