Chapter 20

'What the hell man?' Nate scowled.

'What?' Haru fumbled.

'You can't be fucking in here, this is my room too you know.'

'No it isn't like that!'

'Are you serious?'

'Ok...it is like that' Haru mumbled into his blankets again.

'How long has this been going on?' Nate asked him, moving over to his own bed.

'I don't....' Haru uttered.

'Just tell me.'

'Um...' Haru swallowed reluctantly, 'a few weeks.'

'Uh-hu?'

Nate sat on his own bed, staring at Haru hard.

'Why is this supposed to be a secret?'

'Please. You can't tell anyone about this.'

'Why? No one's going to care.'

'You don't?'

'Me?' Nate said, sounding confused. 'Dude, why would I care if you're gay? I'll admit I'm a little surprised, I had no idea.... but why would you hide it? Why is it a secret?'

'I'm scared of my father finding out.'

'Right?'

'He still wants me to marry Jasmine....but I don't want to.... I don't want to....'

Nate watched Haru silently as he cried into his sheets, hugging his knees to him.

'You're living a lie. You shouldn't be afraid of yourfather. Your life is your own.'

'Hm?' Haru glanced up Nate tentatively then.

'Why do you care what your father thinks? Nate went on.

Haru stared at him.

'Are you afraid of him?' Nate asked.

'I guess I am' Haru mumbled.

'Why? I'm not afraid of my parents.'

'My father is different' Haru spoke unhappily. 'He's so controlling but.... he doesn't love me.... not as a father should.... not as my mother did.'

'You should tell him the truth.'

'How could I do that?'

'You have to be strong' Nate told him, 'I know it's not easy. What are you afraid of?'

Haru let out an unhappy sigh, eyes distant as he stared into nothing.

'I just want to be with Aubrey' Haru mumbled under his breath. 'I wish we didn't have to keep what we have a secret' Haru said. 'I love Aubrey.... and I want to be with him openly.'

*

*

The next day, Aubrey and Haru met up in secret.

They met at the edge of the school grounds, hidden from view by the small collection of trees.

Haru leaned into Aubrey, tilting his head back as he kissed him, clutching at the front of his shirt as Aubrey held him in a firm embrace.

A short distance away, a figure watched them, completely unseen to them.

Nate lifted his camera, snapping some shots, before backing off carfully, turning and walking away.

*

*

The next day

'What does he want?' Aubrey asked Haru, his voice sounding a little uncertain.