Chapter 27

I drove quickly as harmony clutched onto the bottom of her seat for dear life. When we arrived at the hospital it was deader than usual. Barely anyone roamed the halls. A few doctors, a few nurses, even a few other people at times. But mostly, it was dead. We didn't have to ask which room my father was in, because once we turned the hall I spotted my sister and Nash standing in front of a room with the door wide open. My sister's face was pale and her blonde hair was put into a messy bun. She wiped her face with the sleeve of her sweater as Nash wrapped his arm around her. I walked towards them hesitatingly as anxiety came towards me, each step I took. "H-how is he?" I stammered. "He's fine...so far..." My sister mumbled, not even having the confidence to stare up at me with the gleam in her eyes like usual. I walked inside the room and Hayes sat beside my father. My fathers hand was gripped onto hayes's arm and he was saying something to Hayes. Probably whispering because Hayes was leaned close and was giving a continuous head nod. "What are you Doing here?!" I yelled as I stormed to the opposite side of my father. Hayes stared up at me, opening his mouth to speak before my dad cut him off. "Honey, it's fine. Hayes was just-"
"No dad," my focus went back to Hayes "answer my question. What are you doing here?" I hissed like venom was pouring out with each word that I spoke. "I just drove him." Hayes said. But he stared down at the ground as he said it. It looked like he had been crying. A side that I thought id never seen considering he's known as a bad boy. "How'd you drive him? I thought you and Nash and everyone else were at the lake." I retorted.
"We were. Your dad was coincidentally there also..." I looked back at my dad. His hair looking so thin, his eyes exhausted and droopy. It hurt. Even though he was the one truly hurting, I felt an aching pain inside. Whether it was watching someone I love slowly die or was watching a stranger slowly die. For the first time...I think it was the first option. "Why were you at the lake dad?" I said softly. Tears stung my eyes and I didn't fight them. Instead I let them fall on the side of the bed near my father. "I use to go fishing with my dad. And I was thinking about taking you and your sister out there also...but I guess I can't anymore." His eyes were shut as he spoke. Each word he said stung my heart like a bullet. I wish I could restart this all. The day my father had first came back, I wish I had welcomed him the right way. But I can't anymore. But I sure as hell will say goodbye the right way. "Why didn't you tell me about this? Why did-?"
"I didn't want to scare you. I didn't want you to act different around me. I just wanted to be a regular father to you, not the father who was diagnosed with cancer."
"Is that why you came back to us?" He slowly opened his eyes and shifted his weight towards me. I leaned closer and he pushed my side bangs out my face and tucked them behind my ear. "I wanted to see you grow up. I wanted to see one of my baby girl's before...before I was gone."
"But you're not gone. I'm not letting you leave!"
"But you have to."
"No! I'm-"
"Honey," he said softly as he calmed me down with my flaming words "I'm going to leave eventually."
"But what if you don't?"
He smiled and let out a small chuckle "well, that would be an amazing gift from god wouldn't it?" He said.
"Yes...yes it would."
"But i want you to know, you and your sister were an amazing gift from god. And I wouldn't trade that In, even for my whole life." He closed his eyes again and laid back deeper in the bed he was in. I was bawling by now. The tears rushing out like I was a water fountain. I held onto his hand and i was scared somehow. That this hand, that I was holding, would eventually be buried in the ground beneath my feet. "Who knew that you had cancer?" I said as I sniffled.
"I did."
"Besides you. Anyone else?"
"Hayes knew." I brought my gaze up back to Hayes who I had forgotten was in the room. He rested his head in his hands and he stared at me. His blue eyes bloodshot red. "Why'd you tell Hayes and not us?"
"Your mother knew as well..."
"So why did you tell everyone else but not-"
"Do you remember that letter I had given you last night?"
"Of course."
"Open it, and read it."
"I don't have the letter right now."
"Good. Id rather you wait until you're at home." The room went silent. You could practically hear my heartbeat praying to god. "How long have you been diagnosed?" I had so many questions, so many things to wonder, but so little time. "Since 2 years ago. I stopped doing chemo. And I knew I would eventually end up like this."
"I'm sorry." I said.
"For what honey?"
"For being such a rude asshole to you when you first came home." I said with a hiccupy laugh to try and lighten up the mood.
"It's alright honey. I forgive you." He shut his eyes again and looked like he was resting. I held onto his hand tighter and rested my head along the bedside. And I forgive you too dad.