The Vampires of Venice (3)

Calvierri school, Throne Room

The Doctor helped Rory, Amy, and Aubrielle back to Guido's. He decided it was time he paid a visit to Signora Calverri. So, as he waited for her to return back to her throne, he sat upon it. As she entered, The Doctor gave her a wolf whistle.

"Long way from Saturnyne, aren't you... Sister of the Water?"

"No, let me guess." Roseanna said quickly after the initial shock wore off. "The owner of the psychic paper. Then I take it you're a refugee, like me?" She replied.

"I'll make a deal." The Doctor proposed, purposefully ignoring her answer. "An answer for an answer. You're using a perception filter. It doesn't change your features but manipulates the brainwaves of the person looking at you. But seeing one of you for the first time in, say, a mirror, the brain doesn't know what to fill the gap with, so leaves it blank... hence no reflection." The Doctor explained.

"Your question?" She asked.

"Why can we see your big teeth?" The Doctor asked.

"Haha... Self-preservation overrides the mirage. The subconscious perceives the threat and tries to alert the conscious brain." Roseanna informed him with a smile.

"Where's Isabella?" The Doctor asked quickly.

"My turn," she said playfully, just now starting to enjoy the proposal. "Where are you from?"

"Gallifrey." He replied simply.

"You should be in a museum. Or in a mausoleum." She commented, half joking.

"Why are you here?" The Doctor asked.

"We ran from the Silence." She answered softly, and he didn't fail to notice the hint of fear that flickered across her face at the name. "Why are you here?"

"Wedding present." The Doctor answered, and asked another question quickly. "The Silence?"

"There were cracks. Some were tiny... Some were as big as the sky. Through some, we saw worlds and people and through others, we saw silence... and the end of all things. We fled to an ocean like ours and the crack snapped shut behind us... and Saturnyne was lost." Roseanna replied morosely.

"So Earth is to become Saturnyne Mark II?" The Doctor asked.

"And you can help me." Roseanna offered quickly, her face lighting up at the thought. "We can build a new society here, as others have. What do you say?" She asked in excitement.

The Doctor raised his eyebrows in suspicion, before getting off the throne. "Hmm." The Doctor walked to face the Signora and whisper. "Where's Isabella?"

"Isabella?" Roseanna asked, clueless of the girl to the name.

"Yes, Isabella. The girl who saved my girlfr-" The Doctor started passionately, managing to stop himself after he realized what he was saying about the younger Pond. "Friend." He finished after a long pause causing Roseanna to smirk at the mistake.

"Oh, deserters must be executed. Any general will tell you that." Roseanna said, nonchalantly as the Doctor locked his jaw in anger. "I need an answer, Doctor. A partnership. Any which way you choose."