1|| gone she goes

||1||

Gone She Goes

***

The Bloodlust Alpha

I stared at him. His words played in my mind like a broken record. Each letter, each syllable from his lips pierced deep within my heart and left a segment of his apparent distaste for me haunting my thoughts. I could hardly breathe. The invisible weight on my chest pressing harder and harder made swallowing down my sorrow that much more difficult. My eyes flittered around me wildly only to fall back to Landon when I realized there'd be no one on my side.

I was left to fend for myself.

The silence was unbearably thick. The shock momentarily distracted me from my parents' blank faces. Even when I felt like the world was ending, I couldn't help but feel surprised from their reaction-- or rather, lack of. They were indifferent to the fact their daughter was being rejected. Most parents, if not all, would be angry at the idea of their pup being denied. Denied by none other than their other half. Seeing as my father was Beta, his reaction would've been much more aggressive. With higher ranking came with a much stronger sense of protection over family. Looking at him now, I couldn't sense the tiniest bit of anger radiate from him. Instead he looked somewhat relieved that my mate chose my sister. Like I was some deadweight that would've worn Landon down.

The pain I felt magnified.

It felt like I was tied down to a boulder slowly fall further and further into the darkness of the ocean. None of them doing a thing but watch as I sink from the shore. No hands outstretched in an attempt to save me. No glance of guilt spared my way.

This isn't going to work.

I won't accept you, Selene.

I never will.

I shook my head at the words taunting me. He couldn't have meant it. No wolf could ever say such words to their mate. To confirm my suspicion, I looked to him with hope that he was lying. Hope to see that he was only putting up a front. If I were to see any hesitation in his eyes, I would've been happy. I would've been content with the smallest form of care. My heart, already battered and out in the open, was stepped on and crushed when Landon looked at me with such pity. His dark eyes swirling with emotion he didn't voice out.

He felt bad for me.

He didn't care.

He felt sorry for being my mate.

It could've been anyone and he would've done the same thing.

I tried to tell myself that. Tried to lift my mood by convincing myself that the reason he was rejecting me wasn't because of who I was, but because of who he was and what he wanted. But that somehow made it all the more painful. Although he made up his mind even before finding his mate, I expected him to at least consider it. He didn't.