I hear Minnie's heels on the tiles that surround the kitchenette and I turn around to face her. 'You can see the river, just,' I say.

Minnie ignores the comment. 'What's it for, Han?'

'Do you like it?'

She glances around the room and shrugs. 'Yes. It's fine. It's very nice, but what... why are we here?'

'There's some shops just down the road, and Vauxhall tube station is a ten minute walk. It only takes half an hour to get to Golders Green.'

Minnie raises an eyebrow. 'Golders Green,' she repeats. 'Where you'll still be living. So, what's this flat for then?'

I dig my hand into my bag and pull out the silver keyring with two keys on it. 'It's for you,' I say, holding the keys out to her and unable to resist grinning.

'Me?'

'Yes. You said, didn't you? That if you could, you'd move out of Vince's, away from all those... those people that sleep there. Well, now you can.' I jingle the keys and she takes them from me hesitantly.

'You've rented it?' she asks, doubtfully.

'I've bought it, actually,' I reply, breezily. 'Renting... You pay and pay and have nothing to show for it at the end. And I didn't think you'd want to deal with landlords and things like that. I've paid the deposit. You'll have to manage the mortgage but...'

'You've bought... Hannah, where did you get the money?'

'That doesn't matter. All that matters is that it's yours. All yours, to do whatever you want with. A late birthday present, if you like.'

'You gave me a birthday present in January.'

'Oh, Minnie, stop looking a gift horse in the mouth, will you?!'

Minnie looks down at the keys in her hand. She closes her fingers around them as if she's weighing them, then places them on the kitchen counter carefully. 'It's very kind of you, Han, but I can't take it.'

'Yes, you can,' I insist, sounding strained. I step closer to her. 'What do you mean... I got it for you.'

She smiles thinly. 'I don't want charity from Ricky. I appreciate what you're doing, but I'm not going to be indebted to him for...'

'It's not from Ricky-'

'Well, then... John. Or George. Or whoever you've borrowed the money from. If you've bought it, then sell it again. Pay them back. We've never owed anybody, I've never been in anyone's debt. I'm not starting...'

I fold my arms. 'I haven't borrowed from anyone. I paid for this with my own money. It's from me.'

Minnie chews her lip. 'What did you do, Hannah?'

'Nothing. Nothing like you're thinking. I... sold something.'

'What?'

'A piece of jewellery.'

'What jewellery?'

'Just some old thing I don't wear anymore,' I say. I put my hand on the keys and slide them over to her. 'Take it, Minnie. Please. It's for you.'