Talk it Out

Reyes glanced over at Brandon five minutes into their patrol, shaking his head. He still couldn't believe this man had taken those women home to his mother. If he was being honest, he was surprised those women made it past the introduction alive.

"Why are you shaking your head at me?" Brandon questioned.

He was glad he had done what he did. He was glad to have it out of the way and glad that he had talked his mother down. He knew she didn't really accept what he was doing and believed that it wouldn't last based on what she'd said to the girls; but this was what he wanted and one day, these people were going to be amazed at what he had.

"I never thought you were stupid is all.

Brandon frowned but shrugged. "I'm not stupid, Reyes, and what I tell you in confidence is supposed to stay between us."

"It is," Reyes agreed. "Unless you plan on doing something stupid. Your father didn't think you would take those girls home. What made you think that your mother would be okay with that?"

"You know, Reyes, I honestly don't care what my mother is okay with. She's not paying my bills, she's not providing my meals, she's not washing my clothes, and she's definitely not having sex with me. Her approval is desired, not required."

Reyes pulled over in the empty lot of a park and turned to look at his partner. "This is what you want?"

"This is what I want. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have brought them to my mother. Especially not together."

"Have you met either set of their parents?" Reyes wondered.

"No, I haven't."

"Why do you think that is?"

Brandon shrugged. "It hasn't come up; but when I meet their parents, both sets, I will be sure to inform you, Raul," Brandon said in a sharp tone. "I'm not seeking anyone's approval. All I want is everyone to accept that they are who I'm going to be with, that I'm building a relationship. Is it different? Yeah, it's different. Do I know how things are going to turn out? Absolutely, I don't. What I do know is that I love and care for both of those women. I will do everything in my power to keep them both happy. Believe me, when one is happy, pleasing the other is not a tremendous task. It's fine if you want to doubt the unfamiliar, but I tried it you guys' way for a long time and that didn't work either. Your opinion is unsolicited and when I want it, I will ask for it. If I wanted to be judged, I'd have walked into some type of church about it. This subject is dead. I'm with the two of them and your approval is not needed. Thank you for what I'm sure you deem helpful advice."

Reyes was at an absolute loss for words. He'd never seen the younger man this way. That was why he kept trying to deter him from what he was sure would only be a painful breakup. He could see how serious Brandon was about these women; but never having seen the three really interact, he couldn't know how serious the women were about him.

The car was silent awhile. Their radio came in a few times, but nothing relevant to the two of them and they sat there for a few minutes, neither speaking.

Brandon looked out his window and saw a couple of women walking around the track, one carrying a sling and the other pushing a stroller.

"I won't say anything more about this, Brandon. I respect your decision and I hope that things are as you think they are and not as I believe they are. I am not naïve enough to believe it, but I do hope it. Or that you will come to your senses soon."

Brandon said nothing to his partner, ignoring the backhanded concession.

"No one is going to take the three of us as seriously as we take each other. That's fine. Just keep that to yourself. Say it when I'm not around. I don't care to hear it."