Lucky Number 3

Samiya and Amber walked into the pottery studio and were greeted by an older woman with a smile.

The studio wasn't empty was also nowhere near capacity as the two walked further in.

"What can I help you ladies with today?" the instructor asked.

"It's our anniversary, and we want to make something to commemorate that," Samiya explained.

"Together or separately?"

The women exchanged a look and shrugged. "Separate," Amber decided. "I want to make something simple. Maybe a plate or a bowl."

"I want to make a plate," Samiya said definitively.

"Have either of you ever done pottery?" she asked, getting a double reply in the negative.

She led the women to a small table and gave them clay. She gave them instructions on how to make their plates and showed them a short time lapse video to get them started, placing written instructions on the table in case they needed help.

The women sat there, molding their plates and enjoying themselves, sharing conversation. It was a bit early for Samiya, and Amber didn't let her forget that she had actually gotten out of bed at six o'clock in the morning just to arrive at a pottery studio by seven. Samiya just laughed.

When they had their plates all shaped up, they marked their anniversary date in it in their own ways.

The instructor informed the couple that their plates would be fully dry in two weeks, and Amber decided that was fine because their trip would last about two more weeks.

"I'll be ordering paint soon, do you ladies want to request any specific colors?" she asked. "And are these plates for eating?"

"Nah. Decoration. I like teal and bubblegum pink," Amber said.

"I like neon colors," Samiya told her.

"Will do. Have a good day," she told the couple in parting.

Amber took Samiya around the waist as they exited the building, and she smiled as they got into their chauffeured car.

"What are you up to?"

"Nothing. I just thought it might be nice to get a nice couple's massage, maybe have a seaweed wrap, mani/pedis, maybe facials. We could both do with getting our brows done."

"Don't you make your woman feel beautiful."

Amber laughed, lying in Sammi's lap. "We've been together for thirteen years. If I can't tell you the truth about your eyebrows, we have a lot of problems because I might have a lot worse things to tell you."

"You're lucky I agree with you," Samiya said, feeling her eyebrows. "And I got us tickets to a drag show."

Amber's eyes lit up. Samiya didn't understand her wife's preoccupation with queens, but she would sit through a show for her benefit.

Amber worked in fashion, so naturally she worked with a lot of queens. And sometimes, they were better looking than the girls. They were so well put together and put so much effort into their looks. She loved it.

"I like your gift."

"I knew you would."

Samiya leaned down to kiss her wife. She was actually looking forward to the show. A friend of theirs was walking, but Amber didn't know it. Samiya only knew because she'd run into her at the bar while Amber was canoeing. They had decided to pursue their own interests for a few hours, and Samiya had stopped for a couple drinks and maybe a bite.