Time Together

Brandon had the next few days off and decided to spend them with Samiya. He watched her in the mirror in her closet as she got ready to go. She had been in that closet for an hour and a half, and he was sneaking pictures and sending them to Amber.

Samiya didn't notice Brandon watching her as she tried to get her liner just so, cursing each time she had to start over. "I wish Amber was here to do this," she mumbled to herself.

No matter how much Samiya tried, she could never get her liner perfect the way Amber did. She would spend thirty minutes doing her eye liner before she got to a point where she could live with it.

Brandon chuckled to himself a little as he saw the faces that Samiya was making in the mirror. She didn't notice, though, too busy wiping off makeup and reapplying it.

Brandon sat on the bed, texting Amber about her wife. Her replies started pretty slow, but he assumed she was out of her meetings because they were coming right away now.

Samiya finally got up from the vanity, cutting the lights out, and she picked up her purse. "I'm ready," she announced.

"About time."

He got up and put his arm around her shoulder, leading her down to his car. "It's a good thing that I wasn't starving. You would have gotten left," he told her, sliding into his seat.

"Well, my personal makeup artist is halfway across the globe. Forgive me," she said, rolling her eyes.

"It's no better when she's here."

"Point."

The two went to have lunch at a sandwich shop. It was a place Samiya had found when she was working in marketing. It was close to the office, so she could always walk and leave her car parked where it was instead of having to compete for parking because she'd gone for lunch.

"I used to come here to have lunch all the time," she told him. "Sometimes, Amber would come and bring me a grilled cheese sándwich and tomato soup from here." She smiled in reminisce.

"Your thoughtful wife," he commented, looking at the sandwich and soup options. "How is the pot roast and the potato soup?" he wondered.

Samiya frowned. "I don't know. I've never had it. It must be new," she answered, opening her menu. She saw a lot of options she had never seen before, including several new grilled cheese varieties.

Before Samiya could get a good look, their server had come to the table, asking whether they were ready to place drink orders.

"Can we get a minute?" Brandon asked, realizing he hadn't even looked at the drinks.

Their server left, and Brandon proceeded to look over drinks while Samiya took in the new sandwich options. After having made that decision, she turned to the drinks, seeing there were new ones, but that they still carried her favorite drink.

When the server came back, Samiya got a grilled cheese Panini made with mozzarella, spinach, and mushrooms along with her tomato soup and a pineapple lemonade. Brandon ordered his pot roast and potato soup with a peach lemonade.

When the server was gone, the two put their attention on one another. Brandon reached across the table and took Samiya's hand in his. "I wanna do something nice for Amber for when she comes back," he told her.

"Something nice like what?" she wondered, her interest piqued.

Brandon bit down softly on his thick bottom lip, looking at Samiya, unsure of how she was going to feel about his suggestion. "Well..." he started, and Samiya slightly frowned.