Chapter 6

Ryden POV

It was my birthday. I woke up a sweat panicking mess. I calmed down and lay awake on my bed staring at the ceiling I look over at my clock and see the time 5:12am there's no way I'm going back to sleep now.I get up and pull a tshirt on I only had a pair of sweatpants then I put my beanie on.I walk over to my door and pull my shoes on grab my hoodie and guitar and as as quietly as possible I shut my door and walk into the back and into the old tree house I turn on the colourful string lights that where strung all around the tree house I open the hatch on the little wooden window and sit in the chair and look out of it. I pick up my guitar and start to strum. Skinny Love by Bon Iver.

Come on skinny love just last the year
Pour a little salt we were never here
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer
I tell my love to wreck it all
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Right in the moment this order's tall
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
In the morning I'll be with you
But it will be a different "kind"
I'll be holding all the tickets
And you'll be owning all the fines
Come on skinny love what happened here
Suckle on the hope in lite brassiere
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Sullen load is full; so slow on the split
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
Now all your love is wasted?
Then who the hell was I?
Now I'm breaking at the britches
And at the end of all your lines
Who will love you?
Who will fight?
Who will fall far behind?

I take a deep breath and put my guitar down. I take of my beanie and throw it in the floor then run my hands threw and sigh.

"You ok Ryden?" I hear someone say I turn around and see my mom sitting on the frame of the hatch in the floor with her legs dangling threw the gap. I turn and look at the floor she climbed in and kneeled down in front of me and placed her hand on my face and made me look at her.

"What's up Rye?" She says sounding very concerned

"I don't want to disappoint him." I say looking at her in the eyes

"If we're talking about your Farther then that's not possible. He loves you Rye. He always has always will no matter what he's just protective of you sometimes and doesn't want to see you get hurt but you could never disappoint him."

"How do you know?"

"Do you remember when you where 6 or so and you where learning to ride a bike and you nearly crashed into a car but you missed and you fell over the front of your bike and your dad was so mad. But he wasn't mad at you he was mad at himself for not being able to keep his son safe he was disappointed in himself not you and that wasn't even his fault if where being honest it was yours but he blamed himself. So if you did something stupid and he wasn't disappointed I don't think he could ever be disappointed."

"I remember that." I say with a chuckle

"And Ryden?"

"Ye?"

"That song was amazing."

"Thanks mom." I say standing up with her and pulling her into a hug

"Happy birthday Rye."

"Thanks mom. For everything."

"It's no problem Ryden. We should get you inside and you need to shower because Ryden you smell really bad." She says laughing and pulling out of the hug I laugh and we walk in to the house and I go for a shower.

When I walk down stairs in my usual clothes I see my dad sat on the couch in a pair of sweatpants and a coffee in one hand holding my mom who was snuggled into his side with his other arm. One day I hope to have a life like he dose. A family. A loving wife. Kids that love him. And a great job. I sit in the arm chair next to the couch and join them in watching the news. As soon as I sit my dad says

"Happy Birthday Rye."

"Thanks dad." I say smiling at him he smiles back and puts his coffee mug down on the table but still keeping my mom next to him he reaches next to him and pulls out a box and hands it to me. It was wrapped in pink princess paper the wrapping wasn't the best there was but just randomly sticking out I look at him confused.

"It's the only paper your mom had left and as you can tell I wrapped it." He says laughing my mom looks up and looks at the box and then back at my dad from her excretion she doesn't know what it is or that he bought it. Which only peaked my interest I unwrapped the box and see a white box with black writing that said Elk Ridge. I look at my dad shocked if this is what I think it is. I open the box and it reveals a oil affect knife that I've wanted for ages and my dad said when I was old enough he would get it for me.

 I open the box and it reveals a oil affect knife that I've wanted for ages and my dad said when I was old enough he would get it for me

^^^^^^^^^^The knife^^^^^^^^

I put the box and the knife down on the table and tackled him into the back of the couch.

"Thanks dad." I say hugging him

"No problem Rye." He says pulling away I sit back down and admire the knife of a minute before sliding it into my pocket and continued to watch the news. Today will be fun.