They call it new year

Saturday 31st

Caspian made sure we made it home in time for new year. There had been no question in him missing it. Plans had been made and Caspian was the first to jump back on the plane and get there in time for them all. I had suspicions that all his talk on not missing out on our new year celebrations was a way of just getting us to leave so he could be reunited with Chester, but I said nothing. Not when I had my own selfish reasons for getting home.

"If you're dressing up for someone tonight you best tell me," Ivy smirked across the room at me, her eyes rolling up and down my frame smugly.

"Just myself," I smiled innocently, brushing down the silky material around my hips, "Why? Do I look overdressed?"

"No," Ivy's head shook as she scoffed, her immaculately perfect hair sticking in place behind her ears, "You look amazing."

"But definitely not overdressed, right?" I asked her, flipping my chin over my shoulder and briefly checking my appearance in the mirror.

Having been seated stiffly on my bed, Ivy finally got up and stretched her long legs out. The dress she wore fell down her thighs and swayed as she moved. The pure white dress and crystal beaded jewellery she wore definitely out shone my outfit for which I was grateful for.

I'd made the bold move of asking Asher to join in on our new year celebrations. Though the night was consisting of snooty cocktails and upmarket plans, all things he hated, he'd agreed and I hadn't found myself so nervous and excited at the same time in a while. My friends had been told that Jonathan had invited his son to join us and were blissfully unaware of my involvement. We'd both agreed that there would be less pressure that way. And now looking at Ivy, I was hoping that the more and more attention she'd receive tonight would mean the less I got. That would make everything Ash and I did less noticeable.

"Not overdressed," She assured me with a sweet, friendly smile, "Just gorgeous."

"Thanks," I replied, a nervy breath leaving my system. With shaky fingers and mis-paced breathing I walked to my heels by the door and slipped into them.

Ivy watched me with a gaze mixed with hints of amusements but also suspicion, "Why'd you look so nervous? Scared you're not going to find a new year kiss?"

"Shut up," I chuckled lightly, my feet sliding into the heels and then straightening myself up to my new heights, "I haven't even thought about that."

"I have," She hummed, her smile morphing in a low smirk.

I cocked a brow in her direction and laughed, "Oh yeah? Who's the victim this year?"

"Who said I've decided yet," Ivy laughed, her eyes running away from me and to the mirror where she checked her own appearance. Her smile stuck but I recognised traces of something sad beneath it.

"I think it should be Alistair," I boldly told her, "A little kiss might spur you to finally sort things out with him."

Ivy's gaze wandered quickly back over to me and regarded me with a feigned look of disinterest, "That won't be happening."

"The kiss or the sorting it out?" I asked her, busying myself around my room putting together the last finishing touches of my outfit. I pretended not to notice the heavy weight Ivy's eyes sat on me and instead just carried on, "because either one, you're not losing anything."

"Just my dignity," She grumbled back in a retort.

"You mean your pride," I corrected her, "Look, I know you won't budge when you're talking to me, but just consider it."

An uninterested expression settled on her face but a twitch bothered her right eyebrow. I watched her with casualty. Sparks tickled the tip of my tongue and I bit down on it behind my lipstick stained lips.