They call it unexpected (pt. 1)

Thursday 15th.

I knew that the real reason my dad wanted me to go to the meal was so he could avoid a dinner alone with my mother. Not that they would be unaccompanied, their friends were going to. But at least with me there they could shy away from the conversation of their perfect marriage and instead focus on their perfect daughter; the one going to Oxford.

I was far from perfect. But if that's the face I would have to put on for my dad, I would.

"Evening," I smiled greeting the table, sitting down beside my father. Another aged couple faced my mother and father, both happily smiling. Each had their hands rested on each other's, entwined on the table. The woman flashed me her bright teeth and the man nodded towards me politely. My mother and father however couldn't be more polar opposites of their friends. Their chairs had a lengthy distance between them and neither looked happy. They looked more like strangers, meeting for the first time.

"Dad," I paused and smiled at my mother who was seated miles away, "Mum."

"Did you get here ok darling?" She asked, her voice soft and charming. For the purpose of display, she leaned across my dad, her hand resting on his shoulder as she placed a gentle kiss on my cheek. Retracting to her chair she slid her hand down dad's forearm and paused for a couple of seconds. My dad ignored the affection completely, more entranced in the menu. It took her a long moment before she put her hand back in her own lap with a feigned content sigh.

"Yes, fine. Brad drove me," I told her as a waiter came by and passed me a menu.

"Good," she reached for her glass, still grinning with ease as she took a sip. She tipped her head towards the couple in front of us "You know Jessica and Arnold."

I nodded lying, "Yes of course. How are you?"

In all honesty, I couldn't remember any one of my parent's friends, they had so many. None of them stood out though; they were seemed the same.

"We're good thank you," Jessica replied, her hand still wrapped up in her husbands.

"Are we being joined by someone else?" I asked noticing the three vacant chairs that sat around the table. Two were on the other side, opposite me and the other was next to me.

My father nodded, "Yes, they should be here soon."

The waiter came by and took my drink order. Jessica struck up a conversation with my mother while my father and Arnold spoke business. I was forgotten about and waited blandly for ordering food.

"Here they are," My father cheered. His booming voice caused me to jump to attention, his enthusiasm usually lacking in the presence of my mother. I turned my head, titling it over my shoulder, curious. The chair my dad sat in scrapped against the floor as he stood up abruptly. Through the crowded restaurant three figures moved towards our table. Ahead of the other two people stood Jonathan, leading them in like pack leader would his wolves. He saw my father and smirked. When he reached my dad, he laughed and pulled him into a bulky hug. My dad matched Jonathan's manly laugh, pulling back and shaking Jonathan's hand.

"Glad you could make it," My dad began elated. I peered behind Jonathan and looked for who he had been guiding the way in.

Lady Savanah sauntered elegantly, a fur coat draped stylishly over her shoulders and a small gold clutch attached to her manicured fingers. The cream knee-length dress she had on made her look angelic, a vision of light. A small smile rested on her plump, red lips. Just like Fleur and Vic had, my mother released the tiniest sigh of insecurity.

I was so distracted by Savanah that I almost didn't see Ash behind her. And like every other time I'd met him, he looked uninterested, emotionless. His tousled hair matched his crinkled dress shirt that I doubted would have been his first choice to wear. He also wore a pair of black denim jeans, his hands shoved into the pockets.