Somewhere, In The Dark

Start from the beginning

Bucky sucked in a sharp breath as if he'd just remembered something. "You know, Steve's been a mess without you. I haven't had any heart-eyed awkward exchanges to watch lately and Natasha says I could just start watching soap operas or telenovela or whatever, but that doesn't seem as entertaining. She caught onto the flirting as well." He laughed to himself. "It's pretty easy to tell Steve's in love with you so I'm sure we aren't the only ones who've noticed."

Steve's...

He's...

In love with me?

A few seconds later, the heart monitor showed a more rapid heartbeat. Bucky happened to catch it, though it wasn't enough to alert the nurses to come in. A hopeful smile grew on his face.

"So you heard me, didn't you?" he grinned. "Does this mean you have the hots for him too, doll?" The chuckle that escaped him was deep and came from a place of knowing and yet surprise. She was thrilled to hear that laugh.

Please don't stop talking. Please Buck.

"He's been here every day, you know. You gotta go easier on 'im," he grinned. "You know, you were the first person besides Steve who didn't look at me sideways when I showed up," he remembered. "I mean, the others who fought alongside us... they were sympathetic but... you really opened your door to me. I will never forget that." Bucky squeezed her hand firmly and watched her face for any signs of life. "Please come back. I need my sarcastic, funny best friend, the one who doesn't wear a star on her chest," he chuckled. "Speaking of which, if you and Steve don't get together after this, I'm going to be pretty disappointed. You two are kind of perfect together the more I think about it."

Once again, he waited to see if she would have a reaction to what he was saying. After a moment, when there was no movement and nothing on the heart monitor, he wondered if it was a fluke the first time. But he'd seen the way she always looked at Steve so his heart told him he was right. His eyes narrowed as he watched the heart monitor and listened to the steady beeping, which was interrupted by footsteps near the door of her room. Looking up hoping to see a doctor he could talk to, he was pleasantly surprised to see Steve with his eyebrows up near his hairline and a brown leather jacket on.

"Hey, Buck—" Steve started to say, but Bucky was up out of the chair in a heartbeat, grabbing Steve's sleeve and moving him into the hallway.

"She can hear, I know she can," Bucky whispered excitedly.

"Did the doctor—" Steve started to ask.

"No, no," Bucky shook his head, "that's the thing. I just know. You have to trust me on this."

Steve's head tilted sideways before he slowly said, "I trust you, Buck."

"You need to tell her."

"Tell her? Tell her what exactly?" Steve wasn't lying, it's just that he was positive there was no way Bucky knew the feelings he could barely admit to himself.

"Steve," Bucky said, dragging out his name and laughing. He reached out to squeeze his shoulder. "You're in love with her, come on."

Steve's blue eyes widened. "How did you-? Nevermind, it doesn't matter." Steve looked at the floor and sighed, "I don't think now is the time to bring up that dialogue. I'm not really prepared to tell her that right now."

"There may never be a better time to tell her," Bucky said gently. "I think she needs you. I've seen you two together. Hell, I know she needs you."

Steve looked to the door of Y/N's hospital room intently, finally turning back to Bucky and nodding.

"You can do it," Bucky spoke softly, in a near whisper. "Let me go say goodnight to her. Do you want me to wait for you?"