Somewhere, In The Dark

Start from the beginning

Steve chuckled. "We're not that bad, are we?"

"Don't worry, you don't count as one of the testosterone brothers," she teased him.

"Oh, gee, thanks, Romanoff," he laughed.

Y/N's heart beat faster, the heart monitor picking up a little speed.. They're trying to make me laugh.

...

"Hey, kiddo."

She knew immediately who the voice belonged to but was saddened to hear the spunk and sarcasm stripped from his speech. His feet moved about the room and he let out a big sigh.

You're scaring me, Tony. Am I ever going to wake up? You know something, that's not your normal tone...

"I miss ya, kid. You kind of scared all of us." His sigh was heavy again. "And now you're all... While You Were Sleeping."

He sat down in a chair and slowly reached for her hand.

Just squeeze it. Seriously, just squeeze his hand! Why can't I do it?

"They all miss you, you know. You gotta come back soon. Especially Captain Spandex, he's pretty lost... without you. You know how much he gets on my nerves but I don't want to see him hurting." He made a little noise as if he regretted what he'd just said and then he leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "Sorry. I'm... sorry. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. It wasn't your fault. I just want you to come back to us. —Little tough love, I guess."

Tony, I'm here, I'm here...

...

Footsteps were heavy, at least two sets. The familiar sound of the chair legs on the floor echoed in the room. A heavy plop to the leather padding and then someone on the opposite side of the bed said, "Oh you get the chair? Of course you would get the chair." Another chair moved and an annoyed sigh sounded from the side of the bed where the first voice spoke, followed by incoherent grumbling.

"Hey, pal," Bucky said, somewhat excitedly. It was easy to hear the smile in his voice. If it broke his heart to see her this way, he wasn't going to let on. "You look good. I told you you needed a spa day," he laughed softly.

There's my best friend! Oh my God, Bucky. I'm here, please don't leave me.

"Man, she doesn't need a spa day ever. You always look great," Sam said. "Old man over here needs his eyes checked," he quipped.

And Sammy, you too. I need you both.

"My eyes are just fine, bird brain," Bucky laughed. "See, Y/N? There's no one to stop our bickering without you, doll." His voice had the hint of a crack to it.

Sam laid a hand on her shoulder and leaned in close to her. "See? We're incorrigible." A soft sigh later, he muttered, "Hope we're going to see you home real soon." Sam wiped at his eyes as he walked out of the room.

"Even Sam's bummed about you being here," Bucky pointed out as he blinked away the sight of an upset Sam fleeing the room. "But you do look good. A lot better than I expected. We just... really miss you."

He was quiet for a moment before a sniffle slipped out. "You know, this is a lot harder than I thought it would be." Bucky's big warm bear paw of a hand reached out to rest on top of hers. "Well, too bad for you I'm going to stay with you for awhile because I miss you. And since you can't or won't speak, you're stuck with me," he laughed. His body slipped down in the chair and his thumb rubbed her hand. He was quiet for awhile, it was hard for her to tell how long it had been. But every now and then, his hand would squeeze hers.