Chapter 12

A/N: Thank you all so much for reading, voting, and reviewing for this story!  I love each review I get and do my best to respond to all of them.  I apologize for posting this at such a late hour, but I didn't get to bed until 4pm and just woke up.  Yes, I realize that I'm a vampire.

....

"My body is a journal in a way. It's like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist." ~ Johnny Depp

....

BPOV

It had been an interesting day to say the least. I had completely forgotten that Esme was going to be picking me up for work again, and poor Edward just about got the shock of his life when he opened my door and found his mom on the porch. He turned bright red, not even able to answer her when she asked him why he was here so early. I did my best to quell my smirk, but quickly got rid of it, when Esme turned her gaze on me.

I quickly climbed into her car, avoiding her gaze. It wasn't so funny now. She probably thought I was corrupting her sweet baby boy, and there was no way I could deny it. I waited as she climbed behind the wheel. We had just hit the 101, when she started talking.

"How are you holding up, dear?"

"I'm okay. It's a bit scary, but I'm okay."

She nodded, pausing, as if to think about what she was going to say next. I was afraid that she was going to have issues with Edward being at my place, so I spoke up.

"Esme? I hope you aren't upset that Edward was at my place this morning."

She looked startled. "Why would I be? He's a grown man, and he couldn't have found a nicer girl to be with than you."

I let out a breath I hadn't even realized that I'd been holding. Esme let out a laugh.

"Were you that worried about it?'

I shrugged. "A bit. Mainly, I was worried for Edward's sake."

"What you and Edward do, is your own business. All that I ask is that you be safe."

"Of course."

The rest of the ride was spent discussing Esme's plans for redecorating her house. I thanked her when she dropped me off, then strolled into Eclipse.

"Aren't you a little old for your mom to be dropping you off?" Embry, one of Jake and Seth's friends, called out to me as I walked in the door.

I flipped him the bird, then went about getting my station set up.

"That's her boyfriend's mom," Jake corrected, coming out from the back.

Embry hopped up on the counter. "Oh, yeah? Who's the lucky guy?"

"Little Cullen," Jake told him.

Embry's mouth dropped open. "No fucking way! Little Cullen? How the hell did that happen?"

I bristled at his tone. "What do you mean, how did that happen?" I asked as I stalked toward him.

Embry threw his hands up in the air. "Chill, Bella. I didn't mean anything by it. I just never expected you to hook up with a guy like Edward. That Laurent guy that was hanging around La Push the other day seemed more your type."

At the mention of Laurent's name, Jake and Seth whirled around.

"What do you know about Laurent?" Jake asked before I could.