Chapter 7

A/N: I can't think you all enough for reading and reviewing this little story (which will be around 34 chapters or so), so thank you!

....

 "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~Charles W. Eliot

.

EPOV

Bella and I had a thing. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was something. We spent four nights a week together, cooking, eating, laughing. It was almost like we were dating, but we weren't. Or at least, I didn't think we were. She'd kissed me on the side of my lips a few times and always gave me hugs. It left me confused. I would have asked Jasper his opinion on it, but I was afraid that he'd make fun of me, so I did the next best thing. I called my dad.

"Hey, son."

"Hey, Dad."

"What's up?"

I let out a sigh. I hated feeling stupid. I explained my situation to him and asked him what he thought.

"Why don't you ask Bella?"

"Uh ... because I already feel like an idiot and asking her if we're dating would make me sound like one."

"Just talk to her. That's the best advice I can give you."

I hung up with him and made the decision to talk to Bella. It was Bella's night to cook, so I decided to stop at the florist on the way home and pick up more flowers for her. It had become a tradition. She cooked, and I brought her flowers. Different ones every week. I was now on a first name basis with Lydia, the owner of Blooming Buds.

At six I left the library, frowning at the weather. Snow was coming down, and I was worried about Bella driving in it. I made a quick stop at Blooming Buds and picked up a bouquet that was all zen-like. It had purple dendrobium orchids, green carnations, dark pink Sweet William, an emerald palm leaf, and other tropical greens, arranged in a square kiwi-colored container. It was something that Bella would appreciate.

I got home, changed clothes, and looked out the window, noting that Bella's truck wasn't in the drive. That was odd. I called her cell, leaving a message when I got her voice mail. Twenty minutes passed and there was still no call from Bella. I was doing my best not to freak out but it was hard. I told myself that she was driving slow and would call me once she got the chance.

Forty-minutes later, I was a frantic mess. Remembering that Bella had given me both Jake and Seth's number in case of an emergency, I quickly dialed Jake. Frantically, I asked him if he'd heard from Bella. He hadn't and was as worried as I was. Finally, my phone rang. It was Bella. Fingers trembling, I answered the phone.

"Bella! Where are you? Are you okay?" I blurted out, my voice full of panic.

"I hit a tree," I heard her say.

Oh, God. Please let her be okay.

"Where are you?"

"On the 101, about fifteen miles outside of Forks, I think. I hit a patch of ice. I hurt," she whimpered.

"Hang on, Bella. I'll call the police and ambulance. Dad and I will be there in a few. Just stay on the line with me, okay?"

Grabbing my house phone, I dialed 911 and reported Bella's accident, then I hung up and called Dad. I explained the situation to him, and he told me he'd be right over. I called out Bella's name to make sure she was still on the cell with me, but I got no response. For the first time in my life, I let the swear words fly.