Chapter 28 - "Hey Farewell? Really?"

Start from the beginning

"Fine."

She hopped onto the bar stool and pushed play on her music. She lowered the volume as the song resumed playing. Edison froze when he recognized the song.

"Hey Farewell? Really?"

"What? There is nothing more patriotic than Hey Farewell," she argued. 

"They're a boyband."

"And nothing says patriotism more than three hot guys making beautiful music."

His eyes went up in surprise. "You think they're hot?"

"I don't think there is a teenage girl in America who doesn't think they're hot."

"Well, you know," he swaggered towards the counter and leaned against it. He gave her a flirty smile. "Everyone says I look like the guitarist." 

Kit gave him a critical frown. "Who says you look like Noah?" 

He casually shrugged. "People." He tossed his head arrogantly. 

She laughed. "Who? Amanda? The cheer squad?" His expression fell slightly and she knew she was right. She smirked. "Their opinion isn't biased at all." 

He straightened and returned to the stove.

"Do you want eggs?" he asked flatly. 

"Yes."

"Change the song."

"But I can't. It's on my Fourth of July playlist," she said. "And the rules are no skipping or shuffling the playlist."

He gave her his classic amazed look. She grinned. He shook his head as he returned to making eggs.

"You have a Fourth of July playlist?"

"Of course!" 

"I didn't realize you were so patriotic," he said. He began to search her cabinets. 

"Bowls are in the third drawer," she directed him. "And it's a holiday that involves BBQ and fireworks. What's not to like?"

He gave an agreeing nod. "Well, if you grew up in Lighthouse Point, then a lot of things," he said. "The town goes a bit overboard. It's one of the biggest celebrations of the year." 

"I know! I've heard stories from Jaxon. He shares your bleak outlook on the holiday, but I'm excited to finally get to experience the celebration."

He shook his head and gave her a bewildered look. "The only people who actually enjoy the celebration are the kids and grandparents."

"Then I guess I'll be in good company."

He scooped the scrambled eggs onto a plate and slid it across the counter to her. She reached across for the star sprinkles and poured some over her eggs. She took a bite and frozen when she caught the look Edison was giving her.

"You're so weird," he said, more to himself. 

"It's the Fourth of July," she argued. She didn't feel like her reasoning needed more of an explanation. 

Edison seemed unsure of her abilities in the kitchen and offered to clean up the dishes while she got dressed. He was waiting in the front hall when she came down the stairs decked out in a red, white and blue outfit. He stared for a moment before he opened the front door and mumbled something under his breath. She caught the word crazy and chuckled as she followed him outside. 

He managed to hold onto his comments about her outfit until they were driving. She put her feet up on the dashboard and he couldn't resist any longer.