Chapter 26 - "You can't chicken out."

Start from the beginning

"What is Extreme Punch?" she asked.

He frowned. "You don't know what Extreme Punch is?"

She shook her head.

"How have you lived this long and not experienced Extreme Punch?" he asked.

She shrugged, and laughed at the amazed look on his face. He shook his head.

"We are fixing this right now," he commanded.

He pulled her into the corner store. A small bell rang out as the door opened. The air was cool and smelled of sugar and bread.

"Hey Eddie," the teenage boy behind the register said.

Edison nodded in greeting, but kept on his determined path, leading her down the candy aisle. He grabbed a bag of candy, then continued to the soda machine against the back wall. She watched as he filled a soda cup halfway.

He shook his head again, "I can't believe it," he said, mostly to himself. He looked at her. "You are about to experience the weirdest, most exhilarating, drink of your life. Are you ready?"

She cocked an eyebrow at him. "Be careful, Reigns," she warned. "You don't want to build this drink up too much then have it fail."

He scoffed and led the way to the register.

"Sup, Donny," he said to the guy at the register.

"Not a lot," Donny said. He began to ring up the candy and drink, but his eyes kept darting between Edison and Kit.

The bell over the door chimed again and the three of them turned towards the noise as two girls walked in. Their hair was wet and they were wearing shorts and shirts over bathing suits, although the shirts looked more like scrapes of fabric loosely held together.

Kit recognized them from the cheer squad and, for the first time, an envious feeling boiled up inside her. She usually didn't care about the female attention Edison always got. She knew it was inevitable and saw it as competition. The glares she received, when she won, were part of her prize.

But not today. Today, she needed Edison. She needed his playfully smile and bright laugh. And she selfishly wanted it all. No distractions.

The girl's high voices stopped when they spotted Edison and Kit. They exchanged knowing smirks as they sauntered over. Kit looked at Edison, well aware of the neediness she felt as she checked to see where his attention was.

But she didn't have anything to worry about. He met her gaze and playfully raised his eyebrows. She let out a small breath of relief as she smiled back at him.

"Hey, Eddie," one of the girls said.

Kit took a small step closer to him as the girls neared.

"Hey, Becca," he said, barely looking her way as he pulled his wallet out.

"Why aren't you working today?" the other girl asked.

They got as close as they could and leaned towards him as they rested against the counter.

"Yeah! Fiona and I missed you!" Becca added.

"I got the day off," he shrugged. He slung his arm over Kit's shoulder and pulled her close.

Both girls glared at Kit until they noticed the plastic swords and crowns.

"What's this?" Becca asked with a mocking laugh. She pulled Edison's sword from his belt loop.

"Are these kids toys?" Fiona took his crown. She put it on with an exaggerated tilt and put on a pout. "This is what you're doing with your day off?"