Shawn nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, stay and hang out. Maybe watch a movie?"

His family was happy to extend the evening with us. I excused myself after a bit to feed Gracie and put her to bed. I changed into my pajamas and went back out to the living room where they were watching some Canadian comedy series I wasn't familiar with.

I sat next to Shawn and he put his arm around me. I must have fallen asleep, because I woke up the next morning in my bed.

                                ~~~~~~

The rest of our weekend was spent doing mundane household things. We cleaned the condo, did laundry, and went grocery shopping for the week. I was getting back into the groove of cooking, so we bought a ton of food so that I could experiment with new recipes. That arrangement we'd had at first where we'd divide the cooking had obviously gone out the window. I didn't mind since cooking was quickly becoming my hobby.

On late Sunday afternoon, as Gracie and I played peek-a-boo before her nap, I got several texts in a row.

Shawn: I'd like to take you out on a second date

Shawn: maybe tonight?

Me: I'd love a second date, but I'm busy tonight.

Shawn: ???

Me: I have dinner plans. Sorry.

Shawn: after dinner?

Shawn: we could go get dessert at that new cupcake place a couple blocks away

Me: I'll have to bring my chaperone. Her name is Grace.

Shawn: I don't mind

Shawn: and what's for dinner tonight? I'm starving

I chuckled that he switched gears from being the guy I'm just starting to date to my husband so quickly.

Me: Roast chicken with baby potatoes and garlic string beans.

Shawn: yessssss

I played with Grace a few more minutes before putting her down in her crib. I then went to check the chicken that I'd put in to roast an hour ago.

"Smells fantastic," Shawn said as he walked in the front door.

He'd been at the gym. I surmised that he'd probably been texting me from the parking garage.

"Hopefully it's good. I'm worried about undercooking it."

"I'm sure you'll cook it to perfection. I'm going to jump in the shower."

Dinner ended up being very good. I may have overcooked the chicken slightly, but Shawn insisted it was moist and exactly as it should be.

Grace woke up as we were doing the dishes. Shawn got her out of the crib and changed her. He then bundled her up in her winter coat with the bear ears on the hood. He put her in the stroller as I put my jacket on. After he had his on, we headed out.

The cupcake shop ended up being about six blocks away. There was a pretty good crowd there for a Sunday night, but I was able to get us a table at the back. Shawn went to place our order. I'd asked him to get me a salted caramel cupcake and a bottle of water.

As I took off Gracie's coat, I noticed that Shawn was talking to the woman next to him in line. It wasn't a typical fan interaction, since he was obviously being himself in the way he'd normally only be with a friend. The line was far from our seats, so I couldn't hear them, but I got the sense he knew her well.

Shawn let the woman order her item first, despite that he'd been ahead of her. He then placed our order and paid for hers and ours together. I wondered if she'd be joining us, but she didn't. She took her little cupcake box and went out the front door after hugging him.

Shawn made his way through the tables to where Grace and I were and set the two cupcakes and waters down.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"That was Beth," he said.

"Is she a friend?"

I saw a look pass across his face. He was obviously debating how to answer based on the delay in his response.

"Beth is the bartender."

I had to give him credit for being honest. He easily could have made up a lie.

But even if I gave him credit for that, it was still a stab to my heart to see her and to watch them interact on such friendly terms. I had no idea how to react. I was hurt, but I wasn't really mad. I couldn't be mad, after all I'd given him that stupid fucking free pass.

"Mal?"

"What?"

"This is weird, eh? I'm sorry," he said quietly.

"You bought her a cupcake," I stated.

I don't know why that bugged me, but it did. Maybe it was just Shawn being his usual generous self. I knew that if a fan had been in line next to him and they'd chatted, he'd probably buy the fan a cupcake, too. He was like that. But it irked me that he bought one for the woman he'd cheated on me with. Sure he had permission to cheat. I knew that. It still hurt. Lately all of my emotions were more intense. I tried to control them, but I couldn't.

"You know there's nothing going on. I swear to you that I'd never cheat on you," he said softly since there were people around. It was as if he'd read my mind.

"Except you kind of did."

I saw him clench his jaw. He then proceeded to eat his cupcake without saying another word. I took a couple bites of mine, but I couldn't enjoy it, so I threw it out.

"Let's go," he said as he stood up and put Gracie's coat back on.