Chapter 35

Shawn

I don't know why, but Grace's pediatrician appointments made me nervous. I always spent the entire visit in fear of hearing something was wrong with her. When she got her first vaccine, it destroyed me. I couldn't stand it that I was allowing someone to jab a needle into my sweet girl's thigh. Obviously I knew shots were necessary, but I hated them.

"Relax, Shawn. There are no shots this visit, but get ready because she gets a bunch next time," Mallory told me as we drove to the doctor's office.

"What's this visit for?" I asked as I maneuvered through downtown Toronto traffic.

"The doctor wants to check her weight. She was a little low at the last visit, remember? It should be really quick."

I laughed. "She eats all the time. I can't believe she's not getting enough milk."

"Actually, it could be a problem with me. My boobs might not be producing enough. I'm really hoping that she's gained enough today, or we might have to supplement her with formula," Mal explained.

"That wouldn't be the end of the world," I said, pulling into a parking spot.

"I'd be upset. I want to nurse her."

"Sorry. Then yeah, I hope she's gained, too."

We were soon in an exam room, since we were taken directly there through the back door. I wasn't sure if it was a perk or a nuisance that fame entitled me to entering and exiting privately.

"Let's see Miss Gracie today," Dr. Richards said as he walked in the office, his arms extended.

He held her for a moment before setting her on the exam table to look her over.

"Do you mind undressing her so that we can get a weight?" he asked.

I quickly removed her clothes and diaper and prayed she didn't decide to pee or poop while in this state. Twice now she'd pooped in her little bathtub, so I knew my fear was justified.

The doctor put her on the scale. He then handed her back to me to redress. After typing her weight on his iPad, he turned to us.

"She's up 9 ounces, which is excellent."

I could see the relief on Mallory's face.

"So I can continue to breastfeed her exclusively?" she asked.

"Yes. She has her two month check-up in a couple weeks, and we'll continue to monitor her weight, but I doubt this will be a problem. Just continue to feed her whenever she's hungry."

When we got back to the car and had Grace secured in the back seat, I turned to Mal. "Want to go out to lunch?"

"We've never taken Gracie out before," she said.

"I know. But there's a first time for everything. We should celebrate her weight gain and your productive boobs."

"Okay. Let's do it."

We went to a favorite restaurant of mine that wasn't too far from home. It was a burger place and they served the best poutine in Toronto.

"I've never had poutine," Mallory said as she stared at it. I'd ordered a large portion  for us to share.

"It's delicious," I said, picking up some fries, making sure I had cheese curds and gravy on the bite.

She took some and tried it. "Okay, I'll admit, that's way better than I thought it would be."

Grace was on the big table in her car seat, sound asleep. Mal had nursed her in the parking lot to ensure that she'd be less fussy. Not that she was a very difficult baby. She cried occasionally, but as long as we changed her or fed her, she'd immediately go back to being happy.