Chapter 32

Belle spent the next 2 days sick in bed. By Saturday evening she felt somewhat better. She was on the phone with Allie who was convinced she was pregnant.

"Allie Donovan, I am NOT pregnant." Belle repeated.

"Are you sure?"

"YES! I have a virus that's like the flu, I'm not even nauseated."

"I think you should take a test."

"Why? Trust me we're careful."

"On the pill careful?"

"No but careful."

"Take a test."

"If I thought that I were pregnant I would......Hang on someone is at the door."

Killen growled at the knock on the door and Belle looked out the peep hole.

"No way." She bit her lip with a smile, "Al I gotta call you back." She hung up her phone and pulled open her door where Chris was standing with a huge smile on his face.

"You're not the only one who can pull off a surprise."

Belle screeched as she jumped into his arms wrapping her legs around his waist.

"Why are you here?"

"You're sick. And I missed you."

"How long can you stay?"

"Till tomorrow night." He winced.

"You came home for 24 hours?"

He nodded.

She kissed him. "I love you."

"Love you. Now let me in. I have to pee."

Laughing Belle slid off him and stepped aside so he could get to the bathroom.

Minutes later they were on Belle's couch and Belle was happily curled up between Chris and Killen. She took a deep breath inhaling his scent.

"What's that?" Chris leaned forward and grabbed an issue of US Weekly off the coffee table. In the bottom left corner was a picture of Chris filming somewhere in Atlanta and the horrible picture of Belle at the airport.

"Nothing." Belle tried to take it from his hand.

"You're still reading this crap? I've told you to stay away from it!"

"I can't help it. They have you with a new co-star every week. Say we break up every week.....And I've seen the pictures of you with your co-stars...."

"It's what they do!" Chris raised his voice clearly irritated, "They create false stories - they want to create drama, it sells more."

"I didn't sign up for this." Belle shot back. "I'm not a movie star. I'm not use to my name being dragged through the press."

"Well you're going to have to get used to it if you want to be with me."

"Maybe I don't want to be with you." Belle muttered under her breath but it was loud enough Chris heard her.

The hurt was evident all over his face. "Did you mean that?"

"No. I don't know maybe." Belle ran her fingers through her hair.

Chris was quiet for a minute, "You know maybe we should take a break. I think being with me is causing you too much anxiety."

"A break? That's going to help my insecurities?" Belle laughed bitterly.

"Well What else do you suggest we do?" He cried. "You're jumping all over me because of some fabricated story. I have to watch you work with Hunter every single day. Watch the way he looks at you. And I don't say a word."

"It's my JOB to interact with him."

"And it's MY JOB to interact with my co-stars! They can turn any picture from set into something it's not!"

Belle starred at him for a minute her glare was an icy one. "A break might be what we need."
Chris's head shot up. "Fine." He finally said. Standing up he grabbed his keys from the counter. He slammed out the front door of Belle's condo as she collapsed back onto the couch in tears.

20 minutes later Belle was still laying on her couch. She felt miserable from being sick and now she was  upset about her fight with Chris. Killen climbed on the couch next to her nudging her with his wet nose.

Finally standing up she wiped her eyes and nose with the sleeve of her oversized sweatshirt (one she had stolen from Chris at some point) Her first instinct was to make the pain and anxiety go away. She opened the cabinet door for a wine glass but stopped.

"What am I doing?" She whispered to herself. "He came all this way to spend a day with me." Grabbing her keys and slipping a pair of shoes on she darted out the door, jumping in her car she sped to Chris's condo.

Knocking on the door with added urgency she waited. Minutes later he slowly pulled open the door. He looked like crap.

"I don't want a break." She spat out before the tears came crashing down her cheeks.

Chris's face softened, his eyes still sad. "Good. I don't either. I just want you." He pulled her against his chest where she sobbed into it. "Shhhh." He stroked her hair. "You don't feel good. Come inside, get in my bed."

"I-I l-left Killen a-at home." Belle stuttered between tears.

"I'll go pick him up in a little bit. You need to rest." He kissed her forehead.

"I'm so sorry for saying I wanted a break. I don't want that." She repeated.

"I know you don't." He kissed the top of her head again before leading her to his bedroom where he covered her up deep in the blankets of his bed. And then he laid with her until she finally drifted off to sleep.