Chapter 16

2 hours later, after Hunter had been ejected from the game he and Belle sat in Hutch's office along side the team manager. Hutch sat at his desk staring at the two of them for what felt forever. He finally huffed in exasperation.

"Hunter I'll let Dan deal with you." He nodded towards Dan Kelley, team manager. "And while it's not up to me I'd prefer you not suit up for practice this week."

"Benching me? Seriously HUTCH! He purposely hit me!"

"Good night Hunter." Hutch dismissed him giving a nod to Dan as he got up to leave.

Hunter slammed the chair back rattling Hutch's desk and tore out of the office with Dan behind him shutting the door leaving Belle and Hutch.

"I don't know where to start with you." He leaned on his desk snapping a piece of gum in his mouth. "First, this is how you represent the Dodgers?" He eyed her ripped jeans and holey t-shirt. "You damn well know better to come to a game you are working at dressed like that. If you don't care how you are represented to the world, then how about how this team is, at the very least how your dad is."

Belle winced.

"I don't know what's going on with you. I don't know why you haven't been completely dedicated the past couple weeks, but I don't like it. I didn't bring you on as my assistant because your dad asked me to. I brought you on because I believe in you, and your potential and I know you love this team. Start showing me why I hired you Belle. And take the next 2 games you're scheduled to be at off." He looked down shuffling papers, her cue that she was dismissed.

Feeling like a scolded child she stepped out of Hutch's office hanging her head in embarrassment.

"Hey." Hunter was leaning against the wall waiting for her. "How hard was he on you?"

Belle shrugged, "Hard enough. But he's right I know better. How's your back?" She asked. His back was where he had taken the fast ball pitch.

"Sore as hell." He pulled the brim of his hat down to his his eyes. "And I'm benched. Who knows what else will happen. Bells that guy had it out for me."

"I know. You shouldn't have hit their catcher when you were sliding into home." She bumped him playfully.

"Owwwww" He pretended to stumble into the wall. "I'm wounded here Bells!" He tried to stabilize himself.

"The only thing wounded is probably your ego. Come on let's get some more ice before you leave." She started walking towards the locker room. "You big baby." She called over her shoulder.

After grabbing another ice pack Hunter walked Belle to her car.

"Who were the guys Allie was with last night?" He asked as they neared her car.

"Just some friends of ours." Belle said casually.

"Since when are you friends with Chris Pratt?" Hunter stopped at her car leaning back against the drivers side door.

Looking away Belle fumbled with her keys, "Not that long."

"So are you 2 a thing?"

"No, maybe. What's it matter to you Hunter?" She finally met his gaze with her eyes.

"No one will ever be good enough for you Bells." His blue eyes drilled into her.

"Are you the one setting the bar?" She asked, "Because I have to tell you, you kept it pretty low."

"What I did, I can't apologize enough for. I was stupid. I messed up. I was young and dumb."

"It was 2 years ago." She unlocked her door with the remote.