Chapter 21: Training- Day 2

Kurt’s P.O.V.

“Kurt, it’ll be fine, just hop in the lift!” Rachel says impatiently.

I shake my head and for what must be the twentieth time, refuse.

“What’s wrong with you Kurt? It’s just a lift!” I can see her getting more and more impatient.

“No!” I say firmly, “I’m not getting in; I’ll just take the stairs.”

“There are no stairs, dear,” coos Effie, “It’s all perfectly safe, so just hop in, otherwise we’ll be late.”

I really, really don’t want to get in. I don’t know why, but I hate lifts. They just… frighten me. Actually, terrify would probably be a more appropriate word.

“I don’t want to,” I whisper.

Rachel sighs and grabs my hand, “I’m here. It’ll be fine. It’ll only take a couple of seconds to get down to the training centre.”

As much as I hate it, I really don’t see any alternative to riding in the lift, and Effie’s most likely right, we will be late if we don’t go soon.

Taking a deep breath I step through the doors. I start shaking, and we haven’t even started moving yet. I honestly don’t understand why I’m so afraid!

I feel the lift lurch. I squeeze my eyes shut and grasp onto the wall. I can feel us descending, and like yesterday, numerous scenarios where something goes wrong play through my head. I try to calm my self by thinking of other things, but the topics my mind provides me are not much more pleasant.

The lift slowly comes to a stop, but I keep my eyes shut tight.

“Kurt,” Rachel says quietly, “You can open your eyes now, we’ve stopped.”

“I know,” I answer, keeping my eyes closed. I can imagine her current expression, which causes me to smile.

“You are weird sometimes Kurt Hummel,” she remarks. I can hear the smile in her voice.

She grabs my arm and drags me out of the lift. I open my eyes to see a very flustered looking Effie.

“About time!” she exclaims, “We are running late!”

I look over my shoulder to see that the training centre is nearly empty, with only about six other tributes being there. If this is Effie’s idea of late, then I’d hate to see her early. Even yesterday, we were ‘on time,’ and we were the first people here.

I make eye contact with Rachel and see that she is thinking the same thing. We exchange a smile and then humour Effie by apologising, maybe a bit too sincerely for making ourselves late. She seems to accept this and after assuring us that she will be back later, leaves. Rachel and I go stand with the rest of the tributes who mill in the middle of the room. Unfortunately, they are all Careers, with the exclusion of Blaine. I watch him out of the corner of my eye. I know I told myself to stop thinking about him, but I can’t. If anything, I have been thinking of him even more since I made that promise to myself.

He must have sensed my eyes on him because he looks up and briefly our eyes meet. My heat rate increases by about ten million percent and I feel my cheeks reddening. Quickly I look away.

“Are you okay?” asks Rachel from next to me.

“I’m absolutely fine,” I say, giving what I hope is a convincing smile.

She smiles back but I can see in her eyes that she doesn’t believe me for a second, “Ok then,” she says.

We make small talk until all of the other tributes have arrived. Just as District 5 arrives, the Coach walks through a set of double doors toward the back of the room.