Chapter 37: Let You Down

For the first time in days, I wake completely oriented. I know exactly where I am and who I’m with and god if everyone could feel what I feel right now all the time, then everyone would be too happy to argue or send kids to their death or do anything at all except lay there.

There is an arm – Blaine’s arm – draped over my hip and a warm, soft hand – Blaine’s hand – holding mine. Even if I wanted to I couldn’t stop the smile that is creeping onto my face. “Good morning,” he whispers. I almost don’t want to open my eyes because what if this is all some elaborate dream that my mind has concocted to ease the pain of the arena?

The lids of my eyes slowly lift and then all the doubt is washed away like something in a metaphor that I am too happy to think of. Blaine is so close that my eyes cannot focus properly. He is a blur of hazel eyes and curly hair and a smile so wide, so endearing that my heart almost stops at the thought that it was me who caused it. “Morning,” I squeak back, and even I can hear how ridiculously disbelieving I sound.

His smile somehow grows wider. “How are you?”

“I’m good,” I reply. “You?”

“Not bad.” He tilts his head forward until his forehead is resting against mine. I can feel his breath against my face and if it weren’t for that fact that I am sharing air with Blaine Anderson then I would have stopped breathing altogether. His thumb strokes the back of my hand in lazy, un-rhythmical circles, sending tingles up my arm. I can feel that same fire in the pit of my stomach that I felt last night; consuming and warm. It brings to mind flowers, and sunsets and the colour yellow and everything that is and ever was good in this world. It’s something I had never felt before last night. There had been darker versions, shrouded in hopelessness and longing, that I had felt whenever Blaine looked at me that way or smiled or spoke or existed and at the time, that had felt like it was the only thing I could ever feel – ever be allowed to feel – for him.

But now we lay here tangled in each other’s arms, breathing the same air and sharing each other’s warmth. If there was ever any doubt that Blaine felt for me, then it has been washed away. I know that he is just as overjoyed as I, and it has to be the best thing in the entire universe.

~~~

Outside it was still day, but under the thick roof of the forest, it was as dark as night. Branches cracked and creaked and scratched against each other, creating an eerie, undoubtedly ethereal cacophony that despite its lightness still managed to carry heavy notes of dread and menace. There was no wind to blow the leaves, and yet they skittered about the ground, driven by some unseen force.

Tina’s breaths came out choked and it was obvious that she was past trying to   hide her consternation. The tall, muscular, and yet oddly unimposing boy next to her squeezed her hand tighter. Mike was not scared. He was worried, anxious and wary but not scared. He couldn’t allow himself to be scared. For Tina’s sake he needed to remain the steadfast, reassuring weight that held them both to the ground. He had always been the one there for Tina, and he always would be. He would not let anything happen to her. He would cut down every tree in this forest using only the small knife in his belt if it meant that she were safe. He would kill every single other tribute – including himself – if it meant that she could live.

He whispered reassurances to Tina until his words became more of a comforting, droning song than actual sentences. She relaxed slightly next to him, her breaths more even and deep and her body languid. Mike knew her well enough to pick up on the fact that she was still in fact scared out of her wits, but he also knew that she was calmer than before, and even a small improvement was better than none.