Chapter 23

Chapter 23

It was twenty past three when I reached my home, the atmosphere seemed dark with grey cloud looming over the sky that was making it almost seemed dusk with coldness in the air as humidity rose up by heavy rainfall. I was shivering and coughing badly when I reached home that my school uniform stuck to my body like a second skin. I parked my bike outside and hurriedly ran inside fully drenched.

"You are late! Where were you?" My mother's voice halted my steps in track as I turned around to see my mother standing with her hands folded over her chest. She was in her lawyer uniform and had her glasses on, which meant she was working till then.

"Caught up in traffic mom. You are home today?" I replied while shrugging my shoulder nonchalantly as I continued making my way towards my room.

"Yes, didn't have much work in office. You are soaking wet! Go get changed I will make hot chocolate for you." She replied and turned to go in the kitchen meanwhile I ran to my room to change my clothes.

I threw my backpack on the bed as soon as I entered in my room and hurriedly ran inside the bathroom not before grabbing a tee and sweatpants from a nearby cupboards. I was feeling very cold thus jumped in hot shower and relaxed. It was a long soothing bath and I enjoyed every minute of it with occasional reminiscent of my that day's meet with Sonia.
Our conversation I felt a jolt of hope in my heart. I felt like it was not the end, that there was more to it. I was content with the thought of having her love and beautiful frame in my arms.

It was after I got ready, I descended downstairs and saw mom already waiting for me in our living room with a cup of hot chocolate in her hands.

"Thank you mom, I so need it."I kissed mother's cheek and jumped on the couch opposite to television and switched the T.V on.

I was flipping the channels on the T.V when mother asked me with suspicion dripping in her voice.

"Have you proposed Sonia? Are you both a thing now? Are you seeing her Surya?" Asked she as she, herself settled on the sofa adjacent to mine. Her eyes were continuously shifting from my neck to my face as she gave me her don't-you-dare-lie-to-me look. Her question caught me off guard that made the T.V remote to slipped beneath my palms. I was shocked to hear it coming from her mouth. I knew my dad was a very jovial and Frank person and he was cool with everything but my mother had always acted as a strict one so that my over pampering father wouldn't end up spoiling me. Her asking me such questions was quite unprecedented and peculiar.

"Nn-no no mother! We aren't." I replied, already ashamed with my pathetic stammering self. Who was I kidding, she was a lawyer for God's sake. Digging for truth was her profession! When she could bring truth out of criminals mind than I was her own son. How could I expect myself to be an exception!

"Don't lie Sur! I am your mother and I know you better than you know your own self. Now spill the beans, are you dating her? Is she your girlfriend? How often do you touch her? Have you guys tried to be intimate?" Mother fired question after another in rapid pace and her each question made my face flushed with partial embarrassment and partial anxiety.

What has got over you Mom. Is she possessed? I ended up asking my subconscious mind who decided to be distant right that moment. Traitor!

"No Mom you don't have to be worried about it. I might be crazy in love with her but I know my limits but why are suddenly going all Sherlock Holmes on me?" I replied this time a bit calm than before. I stare at mother's face to read her brain but failed in doing so. Her blank face made me unable to fathom anything.